How big of a brisket on a 18.5 Ots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a 12.5 lb brisket on an 18.5 WSM over the weekend. When I put it in, I had to shoehorn it between the handles on the top grate. I put an empty soda can sideways under the center. After two hours (it was a high heat cook) the brisket had shrunk enough to have it flat on the grate. Should work about the same in a OTS, I wouldn't go with anything bigger than 14-15 lbs.

I wouldn't go with anything bigger than 14-15 lbs.

I don't see how you are gonna slow cook a 14-15 lb brisket on a 18 inch Kettle. That will barely fit on a 22 kettle with coals on one side.

I would say you will need to be much less than 10 lbs and maybe just a flat. This is assuming you leave space for coals on one side.

I don't see how you are gonna slow cook a 14-15 lb brisket on a 18 inch Kettle. That will barely fit on a 22 kettle with coals on one side.

I would say you will need to be much less than 10 lbs and maybe just a flat. This is assuming you leave space for coals on one side.

Totally agree with you. A big brisket can be shoehorned onto an 18.5 WSM because the coals are under a heat break, if you tried a big brisket on an 18.5" OTS you'd have at least half of it over the coals without anything to stop it from burning the meat.

AnyBody know how big if a brisket i can fit on a 18.5 OTS?

Any tips on doing a brisket in the small kettle?[/QUOTE

This is a 17 lb Brisket I did on Fathers Day. I'ts laid over an inverted Roast/Rib rack.

DSCN3835.JPG

Last edited:
But the pic is not a small kettle.. The OP has a One Touch 18 Kettle not a WSM. With a 18 Kettle, part of the meat will be over coals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back