How are you cooking your pork chops, loin, tenderloin?

John Ford

TVWBB Pro
Last year the Recommentations for cooking temps for solid pieces of pork was changed to the same as beef or lamb as the threat of trichinosis has disappeared, (domestic only)
I've since started, ( ok even before) cooking some cuts med-med-rare.
About 3 months ago had a great pork chop ( with fat in it , not the overlean chops we get in grocery)
& the recommendation by the chef was med-rare. It was wonderful!
I'm now cooking tenderloin, thick chops , loin this way, has everyone else changed?

e89fab77.jpg

i try to cook mine a bit more than that but it still has the redish color rather than the grey. i don't hit it all the time but seems to work for me. but overcooked pork s still good to me. just darn hard to ruin pork.

I'll pull mine off the grill a little before145 degrees and let it rest under foil. A little pink is good for my taste especially with a tenderloin.

John, are you gettin' sick after dinner...?
No??!!

Good, then continue your way!

I like my chops JUICY! And I agree with Mark... pull at 140 - 145ºF and foil-tent rest. Perfecto!

Always pull at 140 (assuming I don't screw up) for chops and tenderloin. A loin roast, closer to 135 ans a rest. Whole new world not eating that white dry meat!

I've been building up to it, or I guess building down. Went from pulling at 160 down to 145 in 5 degree drops. Something about too rare pork still doesn't appeal to me, although I will probably press on down to 140 next time. As much as I liked pork all of my life, I REALLY like it now.

Same here. Pulling around the 140-145 mark. I don't like med-rare meat but overcooking is worse.

I've been sliding the scale down. Right now it's about 135 and I usually get 140 during the rest. Occasionally 138 or 139 but I haven't gotten sick yet either.

Me or my wife - 135°

Guests - 140°

Certain family members - 165°

I have a local market with great berkshire chops. Berkshire isn't worth the money on their butts ($4/lb) but it is on the leaner cuts.

Back