"hot spot" seems to be getting worse

Chris-IL

TVWBB Fan
I have the Gen Silver B. Got new stainless burners at some point, maybe 5 years ago, need to look and see if I can figure out when

Anyway it feels to me like the right side of my grill generally has been cooking faster than the left, and the effect is perhaps getting more pronounced

I am planning to do a good deep clean soon and will inspect the burners to see if there is anything there visually in terms of hole size or corrosion. Also I need to check the flavorizers bars because I think one of them has gotten a little angled and so the opening between bars is larger on one side than the other which may be leading to more of a hot spot in my upper right quadrant

Any other things I should be checking?

I'd pull the grates and Flav bars, light the grill and look at the flames.

If the Flav bars are worn, they are not that expensive replace.

Edit : you can move the Flav bars around a bit too. Put the two best over the front burner and the rear burner, and cook with the middle burner on low or off.

Last edited:
Thoroughly clean the burner tubes. Pay attention to corrosion on the "holes". Another tip a Weber tech gave me a VERY long time ago, was to remove the orifices from the valves and give them a good cleaning. I was shocked how much that helped

Even with new burners and flavo bars, my Silver B was always a little hotter on the right side. I believe there is probably a little more gas pressure on the control side that caused that. Never a problem, but I did rotate the food around.

I've now cooked on three different Genesis 1000 grills and have noticed the same pattern on all of them. The left side is always a little hotter than the right, leading me to rotate the food for even cooking. I always chalked that up to the crossover tube being on that side acting as an additional mini burner. If your grill has the hot spot on the right there may be something else going on, clogged or worn burner tubes, plugged up valves, or worn out flavourizer bars.

I've now cooked on three different Genesis 1000 grills and have noticed the same pattern on all of them. The left side is always a little hotter than the right, leading me to rotate the food for even cooking. I always chalked that up to the crossover tube being on that side acting as an additional mini burner. If your grill has the hot spot on the right there may be something else going on, clogged or worn burner tubes, plugged up valves, or worn out flavourizer bars.

My hotspot is on the right I assume at least somewhat because that is where the gas is originating, so it is higher pressure on that side and so maybe more of it is coming out of the holes at that end of the tube.

I will have to check the "orifices" as noted above...will look up how to clean those

My hotspot is on the right I assume at least somewhat because that is where the gas is originating, so it is higher pressure on that side and so maybe more of it is coming out of the holes at that end of the tube.

I will have to check the "orifices" as noted above...will look up how to clean those
And hotspot on the right may very well be normal on that grill, I'm just saying what my experience has been. You'll have to take the manifold off the grill and then you can get a wrench on the orifices to remove them and clean them.IMG_20230511_185506877.jpg

This picture shows that one of the orifices is partially by blocked with something. This is an extra manifold that I have so no idea how well it works since it's NG IMG_20230511_185807213.jpg

This is a valve from a Weber Flame 27000 when I was having problems with flow. The insect pupa was inside the valve. Only way it could have gotten was through the orifice where an insect entered, laid the egg and then exited and the egg hatched into the pupa which became to big to get out.

20200822 Weber flame Valve cleaning (4x).jpg

My Genesis grills over the years have usually been hottest on the right. I, too, chalk that up to higher pressure closet to the gas output. One of the things Weber promoted in the Genesis II line was revamped burners that taper thinner towards the end. The design is supposed to compensate for declining pressure further away from the manifold.

I have also noticed that the burners all have the extra burner holes on the right side that are perpendicular to the main burner holes. Those extra holes probably put out a bit more heat on the right. I think those holes are for the igniter, but they are on all of the burner tubes...not just the front one. I had always thought that they were there to counter the extra heat from the cross over tube on the left......Hmmmmm, now I have something else to ponder.

My vintage grills (700, 1000, etc) have all heated a bit more on the left but recently my 3000 had gotten even more unbalanced
I found that I had inadvertently put a smaller crossover tube ( from a Weber set) into a new aftermarket (Direct Store Parts from Amazon) set of tubes. They were made with a slightly larger crossover with tube holes to match, and you don’t want to assume the sets are identical.
I put the correct DSP crossover in, and the unbalance and heating went back to normal.

Back