Hot rod yellow lid issue

Paul Warner

TVWBB Super Fan
My hot rod yellow lid was replaced this week having lost some enamel coating under the handle. Not new news
as i have had issue previously with a 22 Glen blue. i did not over tighten btw.

Weber included with new lid, 2 x washers that im told was their fix for this very issue. No instructions included so
curious what the theory is behind this solution. Any ideas anyone?IMG_2898.jpgIMG_3111.JPG

Seems like an odd problem but, yeah, synthetic washers would be a bit more forgiving in my limited metallurgical experience.
They are probably thinking that will disperse the stress? Well, on the handle connection, not the owner!

My hot rod yellow lid was replaced this week having lost some enamel coating under the handle. Not new news
as i have had issue previously with a 22 Glen blue. i did not over tighten btw.

Weber included with new lid, 2 x washers that im told was their fix for this very issue. No instructions included so
curious what the theory is behind this solution. Any ideas anyone?View attachment 57955View attachment 57956
The washers hide the missing enamel ;)

Jut kidding, but @John Burns may have some insight.
lol, i heard from a good source that the enamel issue was common on these 70th grills so Weber supplied washers
but confused as to why and how it helps prevent the flaking/damage. People assume that over tightening is the problem
which i guess it could be but i only fix with supplied plastic spanner/socket and am always cautious. Perhaps under tightening
can have adverse effect??

I searched Weber.com for the 70th grill part number and found a manual addendum for those grills. Doesn't explain the purpose of the washer, but does show that it belongs on the outside.

Attachments

That seems… odd. I could see the benefit of a Belleville washer, but it would have to be installed in the proper direction, and the edge would still dig into the enamel.

Wouldn’t a black Teflon or silicone washer under a stainless washer be heat resistant enough?
You could possibly even even make a washer with black exhaust sealer goo and some parchment paper.

Wouldn’t a black Teflon or silicone washer under a stainless washer be heat resistant enough?
You could possibly even even make a washer with black exhaust sealer goo and some parchment paper.
I don’t remember the breakdown temperature of PTFE, but it would definitely get soft and let the handle jiggle at the operating temperature of the grill. Silicone would start to crumble at about 500°F.

I was thinking fiber because that's what we use for the grill strap bolts on WSM's
But a lid gets a heck of a lot hotter so I could see those deteriorating.

Just kidding, but @John Burns may have some insight.
The washers are indeed intended to provide additional protection to the enamel at the lid handle attachment points. While it may seem counterintuitive, our extensive testing demonstrated that stainless steel washers provided greater protection than fiber washers. They are meant to be installed on the exterior of the kettle lid, between the lid and the lid handle. Enamel chipping at the lid handle attachment points is not unique to 70th Anniversary Edition Kettles, and while relatively rare, can happen to any color enameled kettle. More often than not, it happens if the lid handle is overtightened when installing it, but on occasion it happens due to other factors. We (Weber) have your back if this occurs, provided the kettle is under warranty (10 years on lids) and you're the original owner of the kettle. #IworkforWeber

The washers are indeed intended to provide additional protection to the enamel at the lid handle attachment points. While it may seem counterintuitive, our extensive testing demonstrated that stainless steel washers provided greater protection than fiber washers. They are meant to be installed on the exterior of the kettle lid, between the lid and the lid handle. Enamel chipping at the lid handle attachment points is not unique to 70th Anniversary Edition Kettles, and while relatively rare, can happen to any color enameled kettle. More often than not, it happens if the lid handle is overtightened when installing it, but on occasion it happens due to other factors. We (Weber) have your back if this occurs, provided the kettle is under warranty (10 years on lids) and you're the original owner of the kettle. #IworkforWeber
Thanks, John. Will the washers be added to all kettles?

I have not yet installed the handle on my new black lid, so I wonder if a couple soft stainless washers would be cheap insurance.

Back