Hot coals on unlit coals or unlit coals on hot coals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wesley S

TVWBB Super Fan
I've read in the MM article that they placed hot coals on a pile of unlit coals but in this article

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/mobile.html

he mentions putting unlit coals on a pile of hot coals. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When the coals were hot, we placed half in each Bullet. We then added 1-1/2 chimneys of unlit briquettes on top of the lit coals in each cooker. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Does it matter? This assuming that they were cooking with the MM at this particular BBQ.

The next line reads:

"By 10:40am the coals were hot, the cooker temperature had stabilized, and we began smoking."

The MM was not being used in this case, they were just dividing up a chimney of lit coals between 2 cookers, adding more unlit on top of each, and then waiting until it was all lit.

oh boy

As much as I love this site I've been reading on here since about 3:00 today. I guess it's time to pack up for the night.

Reminds me of cramming for finals in college. After about 12 straight hours you either know it or your don't because it's not soaking in after that.

Wesley

I think he's using the Standard not the MM in this article. Some people prefer to use it on shorter cooks because it uses less charcoal. However, others use the MM and are able to adjust the amount of fuel down based on the expected cook time. Read the link on firing up the chimmney and you'll get the complete picture.

PRG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back