Hot and Fast Vortex wings

John Sully

TVWBB Fan
My plan Sunday was to make some wings for me and my wife, but that didn't happen. I put the wings in the fridge uncovered on Sunday morning to let the skin dry out, but ended up cooking them last night. After 30 plus hours, the skin was dry !! I sprayed them with duck fat and seasoned most of them with my wife's homemade rub but did (6) with Bearded Butchers "Ranch" They reached 190 degree's internal in 35 minutes, flipped them just once. Crispy skin, great flavor from both rubs but I will use less "Ranch" next time because it was a little salty for me.

20241021_173059.jpg20241021_175655.jpg20241021_180105.jpg

John, those look really good. Agree with you on Ranch...I find it a bit too salty after a dry brine.

Can I ask, what Tru-Tel model is that? Trying to find one for my Performer. Thanks!

I have both Vortexes, medium for the 22 and the small for the 18.
Yeah, I have Weberitis! Rotisserie dedicated 22, using the old original baskets, I’ve got the heavy duty ones on the “everyday driver”, now, a buddy gifted me a “Slow and Sear” so, there is a new thing to learn!
Such a hard life! Any suggestions as to inaugural runs on that?

I have both Vortexes, medium for the 22 and the small for the 18.
Yeah, I have Weberitis! Rotisserie dedicated 22, using the old original baskets, I’ve got the heavy duty ones on the “everyday driver”, now, a buddy gifted me a “Slow and Sear” so, there is a new thing to learn!
Such a hard life! Any suggestions as to inaugural runs on that?
I really like the Vortex better for searing vs the slow n sear. The slow n' sear wins vs the Vortex on smoking/indirect cooking (unless it's wings). If you're smoking ribs, or a whole chicken, or a small to medium size pork but, the key thing on a slow n sear is to fill up the water reservoir, and then load up the SNS with briqs, and just light one corner. Put your favorite lighter cube or tumbleweed or oil-soaked paper towel in the corner and when you've got 5 or six bricks ashed over, you're in business. It'll burn like a snake or fuze, just use the vents to dial in the airflow. You can expect the temperature to go up a bit when the middle of the coal bed starts to catch, but it really shouldn't get much over 300F (unless the reservoir goes dry).

If you want to use Lump, that will work OK, but I would recommend breaking up any pieces > 5 or 6" long, or chunks that are much larger that 5 or 6" in diameter. In my experience, leaving these chunks large in an SNS or WSM will result in un-even ignition of the fuel, usually causing temperature spikes and shorter burn times.

Good luck learning your way around the slow n' sear. Having new toys is fun.

This wing talk gave me the munchies.

I don’t do great chicken wings.
I mean they are good and all that but for some reason lack being great like some I’ve been served.
I seem to be either lacking some crunch or lacking some flavor.
Hopefully that will change today because I just pulled out a bag of them and am thawing them under a fan.
After they are thawed and dried they will spend today open air on a rack in the fridge.
I’m not sure about salt brining them, maybe a light salting. I just don’t want to double or tripled salt.

I’m not sure what I’m going to use for seasoning, maybe a mild variant of SPG, maybe some chicka licka bam bam I have floating around or that recipe Joan posted.
I’d love to get some duck fat but I’d have to Amazon an item like that up here I’m thinking.
Probably use a combination of lump in the vortex topped off with red hot Kingsford.
Served with some dipping sauce and a light salad.

I will have a guest for dinner so any pro tips would really be welcome 🤗.

Back