Hot and fast brisket

I know your not supposed to determine the internal temp of a finished brisket, but how high can it be? My probe is reading 220* (in the foil) Cooking temp never got above 320* and it's only been in the pit for 3 hours.... started with a 6 pound choice flat injected with Fab B....

Dave,

Your individual smoker, your thermometers, and your technique will all interact here. Sounds like you are on the right track to me!

I do a lot of the flats like you describe. With a "high heat" cook, it normally takes a couple hours to reach 160 to 170 degrees. I then foil, and it takes a couple more hours to get "done." I've never checked the internal temp while it is in foil, bowing to the knowledge of Kevin Kruger on this board.

Use that temp probe or a big fork to stab the meat. If it wants to stick, it's not done. If it slides in and out easily, you're in "brisket heaven."

JimT

Dave, Craig's right. Go by the feel of the probe when inserted to determine if it's done. Should go through the meat with a little resistance

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Dave, Craig's right. Go by the feel of the probe when inserted to determine if it's done. Should go through the meat with a little resistance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, here is the outcome.... 6 pound CAB flat, injected with Fab-B, rubbed with Texas Rangers Rub... foiled water pan, no water (just a little of the remaining Fab-B misture), lump, w 2 pieces hickory, 2 pieces of apple. Minion Method w/ 10 Kingsford briquets. Meat was almost to room temp when the fire hit 220*. Put it all together...Took about and hour for the fire to get to 300* Two hours into the cook the fire was at 340* and the meat probe read 170* I did not spray or mop. Wrapped in a double layer of HD foil and placed it back into the pit. Went ahead and stuck the meat probe back in. Left it for almost two hours and when I returned the fire at reached 350* and the internal meat temp was at 228*. Probe was sliding in and out very easy. Here's were I might have screwed up. Pulled the wrapped meat off the fire and opened one end to pur off the liquid to make a sauce. Wrapped the meat back up in the foil and towels and let it set for 90 minutes before I sliced and served it. Tasted great, but a little dry IMHO.... there was not a piece left, though. I really think the meat was done at three hours, or did I pour the liquid off too soon? I did cook it fat side down, but I placed the trimmings on the top till I wrapped it.

When the probe was sliding in and out easily the meat was tender and juicy; done. You can pour off all, none or some liquid. (I leave some.) At this point you have a hot brisket coming off high heat. Wrapping it tightly holds heat and the cooking continues - not something you really want if the brisket is done. (I merely tent with foil, not wrap, and rest 20-30 min, to avoid continued cooking. If a longer hold is required either pull from the cooker when just shy of done, wrap and rest, or take till done, rest unwrapped and just tented for 10-15, then wrap and rest.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When the probe was sliding in and out easily the meat was tender and juicy; done </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I didn't put the probe in until four hours into the cook. It was already too cooked by then. Would never have thought you could over cook a brisketin four hour when the temp never reached over 350*. I know my thermometers are correct...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It was already too cooked by then </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How did you determine it was already overdone?

That was my point in the post upthread a few. If you take it to done then wrap it tightly it will keep cooking. It became overdone after you pulled it, at some point during the rest.

I did a HH Brisket friday night for the family xmas party this past weekend.

Since my uncle has a decent slicer, the idea was to bring it whole and slice 2 days later. About the only nice thing about this cold weather was being able to pull the meat off, tent for 15 min, then throw outside to rapidly cool off.

I'm still working on my brisket, but everyone enjoyed. I would have liked a bit more moist, but I had a foil leak late in the cook that I'm blaming for that! haha

Dave, as Kevin will probably tell you,time is irrelevant when it comes to cooking HH. It's about the feel of the meat. Does your probe go in like a hot knife through butter? That's the true test for being done on this type of cook.

Back