horrible new guy mistake was made today

Status
Not open for further replies.
i made ribs last weekend on my performer. today i used it again. the blades were stuck because of the fat and bbq sauce drippings from last weekends ribs. i grabbed the lever and forced the blades open. i saw the blades bend while forcing them open. what a dumb move.

so now when i use the lever it moves a few centimeters before the actual blades move. i assume this is going to affect temp control.

i feel like such an idiot and am very angry at myself since this is a brand new 2010 performer ive had for a couple of weeks. i got a very good deal from lowes for $198 brand new so now if i need to replace the parts and install, that pretty much negates the good deal i got.

should i just deal with this and leave it alone or can i order a new set of blades and lever? looks like it will be a hassle to replace the parts.

pictures just for kicks

CIMG0766.jpg

CIMG0769.jpg

CIMG0774.jpg

CIMG0775.jpg

CIMG0776.jpg

CIMG0777.jpg

CIMG0779.jpg

CIMG0781.jpg

CIMG0782.jpg

CIMG0788.jpg

what is this metal piece for?
CIMG0789.jpg

yep, thats the reason to catch the drips. the blades are made of soft material so i imagine that they have a little notch in them now. even my new ots had a little play in the lever when new. so i think you might want to take the one touch system apart and with a hammer, pound out the notches. i would mark things so you know where the blades are with the lever moving to the open position or the closed position, then it will always be correct.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brady martin:
i made ribs last weekend on my performer. today i used it again. the blades were stuck because of the fat and bbq sauce drippings from last weekends ribs. i grabbed the lever and forced the blades open. i saw the blades bend while forcing them open. what a dumb move.

so now when i use the lever it moves a few centimeters before the actual blades move. i assume this is going to affect temp control.

i feel like such an idiot and am very angry at myself since this is a brand new 2010 performer ive had for a couple of weeks. i got a very good deal from lowes for $198 brand new so now if i need to replace the parts and install, that pretty much negates the good deal i got.

should i just deal with this and leave it alone or can i order a new set of blades and lever? looks like it will be a hassle to replace the parts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would call Weber and tell them you have a problem with the ash sweeper assembly on your new Performer ( maybe leave out all the details - less might be more here ). The parts should be under warranty.

When you sweep the one touch system from one side of the ash catcher ring to the other, does it fully open and close so that in the "closed" position, the vent holes are fully covered, and when in the "open" position, the vent holes are fully open?

If so, you should be OK, but I agree that marking the relative positions on the ash catcher ring with some tape or permanent marker is helpful.

Weber probably will send you a new sweeper assembly but even if they balk - and I've never had them balk - the ash sweeper assembly is pretty cheap, IIRC.

Pat

Yeah, as Robert said, call Weber. You'll probably get a new sweeper assembly free. If not, It's only $15 ( http://store.weber.com/items/?pid=1301 ). I've replaced the one in my OTG before and the only hard part was getting the old one off...needed a dremmel tool. With yours being so new you shouldn't have any problem.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brady martin:
CIMG0789.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd like to know this too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
Yeah, as Robert said, call Weber. You'll probably get a new sweeper assembly free. If not, It's only $15 ( http://store.weber.com/items/?pid=1301 ). I've replaced the one in my OTG before and the only hard part was getting the old one off...needed a dremmel tool. With yours being so new you shouldn't have any problem.
CIMG0789.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd like to know this too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I not 100 percent sure but if memory serves me correctly (questionable lately)I think that pc. of wire is to hold a match to light the gas starter if your igniter ever stops working for whatever reason. Probably Weber's legal dept. made them include that. I see those come with many brands of gas grills.

Steve

I just got to tell a little story.

I sold a Weber grill to a customer (retail store) about 10 years ago. We loaded it up in his truck and he closes the tailgate and gets ready to go. I say, "don't you think we ought to tie that grill down". He says "naw I only have a few blocks to go". He pulled out of the parking lot and while making that first turn the whole grill comes tumbling out. Damaged about 300 dollars of parts. He comes back to the store asking to order new parts (fully expecting to pay for them). I call my Weber rep. and tell him the story. They sent all the parts to him at no charge. Now I have told that story to scores if not hundreds of people over the years. I am sure the customer has told that story to even more folks (if he didn't his wife did). How many grills do you think Weber sold as a result of that positive customer service story? I'll bet a bunch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Carson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
CIMG0789.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd like to know this too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I not 100 percent sure but if memory serves me correctly (questionable lately)I think that pc. of wire is to hold a match to light the gas starter if your igniter ever stops working for whatever reason. Probably Weber's legal dept. made them include that. I see those come with many brands of gas grills.

Edit: confirmed it is a match holder, it listed in the parts breakdown in your manual. I know, I know, who reads manuals.
icon_smile.gif

Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Carson:
I know, I know, who reads manuals.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Evidently not you, Brady or me.
icon_eek.gif

Thanks for the info!

That wire thing is used to hold a match to light
the burner in the event ignition isn't working. I read the book before putting my Performer, which is a first for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">confirmed it is a match holder, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, now I can sleep tonight!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> match holder </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Per my 2002 Owner's Manual Weber PDF, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> part #58.Match holder/burner cleaning tool </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is also to be used as a poker to clean out the burner tube should the need ever arise. Spider webs, bug nests/eggs, etc. From inside the bowl, the poker will reach all the way thru the tube. Be careful not to mess up the wires from the ignitor.

Current OM's just list it as a Matchlight Holder. Must be that legal dept at work again.

And, congrats on the Performer! $198 is a fabulous deal!

Yup. Match holder. I read that in the guide too. Fat lot of good it will do me since we can never find matches around here anyway.
icon_biggrin.gif

i called weber and they are sending me replacement parts for free. i actually feel bad about it because this was my fault not webers. i do buy lots of stuff from them so $15 of free stuff is not that big of a deal i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back