Hood Rust...Could this be more than surface rust on the Blue top?

Tork T

TVWBB Member
Good Day Weber folks,

I'm gonna have to drive a bit to see this Genesis Silver with Blue top, and I'd like to get your opinion before I make the trek. Have you seen rust on a hood that has no dents?

thanks, as always-
109075735_10164263354370601_8506334296170371822_o.jpg

I have seen just that. My guess is that someone stored something on top of the lid and the elements rusted it but the lid is fine . I bet you could take rust off easily with just some 0000/000 steel wool and Simple Green. My concern is the left top of the lid, looks like a repair was done.

Jeff

Last edited:
With no dent, it looks good. I would inspect for a deep scratch that got through to the steel under the ceramic coating, but my guess is just what Jeff said and that it is just rust from something steel or iron that set on top of the grill for a long time. Chances are it will come right off with no ill effect to the blue ceramic. But, also as Jeff said, act really concerned about it and use it to your advantage in getting a good deal. After all, it could wind up being permanent in the end.
How much is he asking for it?
Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks guys-
I’ll check it out. 30 bucks includes the tank. It’s a Silver with flip down table on left and wire rack on bottom. Is that model a deep fire box?

I think the Silvers were all just the 5 flavorizer bar models, not the deep fire box like the 1000's.

That would be a good deal if the lid is good. Offer $20 with the rusty lid. Even if the lid is shot, it is worth $20 in parts.
That will be a 5 flavorizer bar grill.

This looks like rust from whatever was stored on the lid. I would just grab it. Try to haggle him down on the rust. You don’t have to tell him that it might come off.

I think it will come off, too. Those old Weber porcelain hoods are pretty tough. Blue is cool! I hope you land it.

Nice call y'all!

The woman gave me the Blue top Silver B and.... the rust came off easily with steel wool. The hood had no prior repairs that I can tell.

When I put in the serial number at Weber the number is not found. Does anyone have a way to find the info on this:

Ser # DA 208388
Model 225000
Part# 2255001

I'll post pics once the rain lets up, but I think the grill is in very nice shape. No rust I can see...yet.

Back