Honey Brine Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Gardner

TVWBB Member
Hey Gang,
Finally got all my stuff together for my 1st Honey Brined Turkey.
I'm making the brine right now and the turkey is thawing.
Should get it in the brine late tomorrow and on the smoker the next day sometime.
Report of results to come soon. Wish me luck.
Billy Gardner

Got that baby going about 8:00 AM CDT this morning. 2 chimneys Kingsford, 250 dome temp. & stable.
Soaked pecan hulls for flavor. Updates to follow.
By the way, I decided to soak in honey brine for 24 hrs.

'Afternoon Billy:
Since you seem to have had such goooood results, and since I've never tried the honey brine before, and since I just got my Tender Quick in, and since I'm in the market for a new turkey brine guess what I'm going to smoke Saturday! I've previously tried the apple cider brine and another marinade from the Jamison book and have met with rave reviews from my critics (family, children, friends, etc.). With your and the other success stories published here, how can I go wrong! Sort of following Chris's suggestion, I'll be using cherry wood (2/3s) and pear wood (1/3) over Kingsford. Stay tuned; I'll try and post an update on Monday. If you're a father, Happy Father's Day; if not, enjoy the weekend, the WSM and the beer anyway; Father John intends to!
?.John

June 18th
All:
Brined (soaked) and injected one 11.5# turkey following Shake's Turkey Brine recipe and only injected another (the same weight) following the Honey Brine recipe in Kirk's new book. 34 hours later, I rinsed them both and applied Kirk's basic rub inside and out on each bird. By mid-afternoon Saturday (seven hours smoking time at an average lower grate temp of 275 degrees), we had the makings of a feast! A very different but delicious flavor; very moist. Next time out when following these recipes, I'll only inject since the turkey that got the full treatment came out very edible but just a little saltier than the other.
?John

[This message has been edited by John Lancaster (edited 06-18-2001).]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back