Homemade vs. Commercial BBQ Sauces.

Bob Bailey

TVWBB Guru
Saw the thread for Homemade vs. Commercial rubs and thought the same comparison for sauces would be interesting. I've been making almost all of my own sauces for years but there are commercial sauces that I will buy instead. After reading an article on altering commercial sauces, decided that it made sense and often would save a lot of time and a few $$$$$$$$$$$$.

I'll start it off with one that I've been having good results with.

Walmart's Great Value BBQ Sauce @ $1.48 for an 18 oz. bottle is a good general purpose and inexpensive base. Want a sweet & spicy sauce? Add Cayenne or hot sauce to taste. For more tang, add some ACV. If you like it sticky sweet, brown sugar, honey or molasses works.

Same thing will work with almost any traditional American BBQ Sauce.

Let's see what everyone else does with good results.

If I need a red bbq sauce my base is just about always SBRs. You can take it any direction.

This is one of my favorite sauces to make at home, because we don’t have it locally and it’s dang good.

Salt Lick BBQ Sauce Recipe

Yield:

Approx. 2 cups

BBQ SAUCE

Ingredients:

1 cup finished sweet and sour dressing (see below)
1/3 cup prepared mustard
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp hot sauce (carrot based preferred) – adjust to taste
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chinese five spice
1-2 tbsp honey
1-2 tbsp brown sugar
1-2 tbsp white sugar

Directions:

1. Place sweet and sour dressing, mustard, worchestershire sauce and all spices from salt to chinese five spice in a large pot. Bring to boil. Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
  2. Take off heat and add honey, brown sugar, white sugar and hot sauce. Stir until well incorporated.
  3. Bring to room temperature before use, or pour hot when canning.

SWEET AND SOUR DRESSING

Ingredients: Sweet and Sour Dressing

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup pineapple juice
1 tsp ginger
1 clove fresh garlic, crushed
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp water
1/4 cup oil

Directions for dressing:

1. Place all ingredients (except cornstarch, water and oil) into a pan over medium heat. Allow mixture to simmer for 10 minutes.
  2. While simmering, mix cornstarch and water in small bowl, untl cornstarch has disolved.
  3. Add cornstarch mix to simmering pot. Stir. Remove from heat and let sit until room temperature.
  4. Blend dressing while adding drizzle of oil until dressing thickens.

I use only commercial bbq rubs and sauces now, mainly from BBQ stores not your average grocery store.
Back in the 60s, my parents insisted that I would make the bbq sauce our family would use.
I now realize the contents in the best rubs and sauces contain ingredients not readily available to the general public.

I use only commercial bbq rubs and sauces now, mainly from BBQ stores not your average grocery store.
Back in the 60s, my parents insisted that I would make the bbq sauce our family would use.
I now realize the contents in the best rubs and sauces contain ingredients not readily available to the general public.

Our local Ace Hardware store has a good assortment of high-end rubs and sauces. I will splurge once in a while but can't afford to use them as daily drivers :)

One of my oldest doctored sauces comes from old WSM competitor Mike Scrutchfield, 5 parts KC Masterpiece Original to 1 part sourwood honey. You usually have to mail order sourwood honey, but if you decide to use something else, don't use boring clover honey, choose something with more character.

The other one I use a lot is Harry Soo's SYD All-Purpose Easy Sauce, which also uses KC Masterpiece Original as a base, but results in a thinner sauce with a medium heat.

Back