Homemade Rub Question

Howard V

TVWBB Member
I was thinking of making my own rub instead of using store brought.

1) A lot of rub recipes had onion and garlic in them. I seen some recipes listed them as powder and some listed as granulated. What type do you use for your rub? Does it make a difference whether it's powder vs. granulated?

2) For black pepper, should I get coarse or fine grind pepper?

3) I read that spices lost their potency after 6 months. I was originally planning to get a big container from Costco since it's good value but I am not sure if I can use it all up in 6 months. Where do you buy your spices from? Do you usually get the small or big size?

4) Do you use these spices much for everyday cooking when not BBQing or grilling?

Thanks!

Hi Howard, I am soo happy to hear you want to make your own rub. If you need recipes, I can keep you supplied for years. lol In response to your questions, may I suggest that whatever you buy, you buy at first in small quantities, till you find out if you like that spice or not. The recipe itself will tell you what type of onion, garlic, pepper, etc . to use.

Here is a recipe I think you might like. It only makes 1/3 cup in case you don't and if you do, you can always enlarge the recipe.

Classic Barbecue Spice Rub

4 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. pure chile powder
2 tsp. packed light brown sugar
2 tsp. granulated garlic
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Source: Weber's Time to Grill - Jamie Purviance

Here is a recipe I think you might like. It only makes 1/3 cup in case you don't and if you do, you can always enlarge the recipe.

Classic Barbecue Spice Rub

4 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. pure chile powder
2 tsp. packed light brown sugar
2 tsp. granulated garlic
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Source: Weber's Time to Grill - Jamie Purviance

wow...that sounds like a good rub!

And if you find one you like don't be afraid to use it for different recipes. I found one for ribs that my family really likes, so I've used it as an all-purpose rub for chicken, beef etc.

Howard, in regards to onion or garlic powder granulated; the powder is A LOT cheaper, I was told that the granulated tends to not clump up as much when mixed in rubs and such over a longer period of time. If this is true or not, I don’t know. when I made my own SPG (salt pepper garlic) a few months back, I went with the granulated garlic. Ill tell you this, for the price difference, I think next time I’ll go with the powder.....
As for pepper, I always go with regular old fine ground pepper.
One thing I’ve found myself doing WAY TOO OFTEN is over thinking things when it comes to following rub recipes. If you have garlic powder, use that. If you have coarse chopped pepper, use it. I think Joan made a great suggestion in that you only make a small amount the 1st time using a new rub. That way If you don’t like the rub, you won’t be stuck with a ton of leftover rub you’ll never use again..
Good luck,
Tim

Skip the salt in the rub. Salt the meat separately first. Let the meat sit while you make the rub (or wait several minutes if you’ve already made it). Salt will draw moisture to the surface and your rub will stick better. Also, salting first and keeping salt out of the rub means you can use as little or as much rub as you want without affecting salt levels.

It is true that powder clumps more than granulated but use what you have.

Ignore the stuff you read about spices having some sort of expiration. Flavor volatiles (types and quantities) vary among spices (and herbs) so an encompassing notion in this regard is faulty. If spices and herbs are kept tightly closed they will last for many, many months and up to years in many cases. Over time some volatiles might well diminish but this is rectified simply by using more.

Note that sugar will deaden flavors. That’s not to say you shouldn’t use it just to be aware. Flattening of flavors increases with the amount of sugar in the mix. If your results lack the breadth and/or depth you’re seeking cut the sugar back.

Back