Homemade falafel, roasted eggplant, tahini, chips and salad

Oh, yum! I want to dive right into that first pic.
was quite good. and the leftovers (sans chips, because i don't really need them) make for a nice lunch. trying to get into more Mediterranean/lighter fare as spring/summer are right here. plants are sprouting up new green and the weather's finally warming up some.

Looks interesting! I have never tried it......
if you're seeking a very filling vegetarian meal, this one hits the mark. the falafel are made with soaked chickpeas which are ground with garlic, herbs and spices and then deep fried. they don't retain a lot of oil and the meal goes well with lots of other veggies as posted. the tahini sauce is tahini, garlic, fresh parsley, lemon juice, some spices and crushed ice all run through either a blender or food processor. if you have a mediterranean market nearby, they like have this for sale if they have a deli/takeout counter.

Was vegan for a long time. Did I say long time. Hate to repeat myself, that was a long time.
Great stuff there. Hard to make falafel just right. You nailed it all. And send some fries here. Curry ketchup too

Last edited:
Was vegan for a long time. Did I say long time. Hate to repeat myself, tgat was a long time.
Great stuff there. Hard to make falafel just right. You nailed it all. And send some fries here. Curry ketchup too
thanks, Tony. it's a traditional recipe without any binders or flour added. straight ground chickpeas with seasonings.

here's the scoop if you're seeking a high quality product. i basically over stuff this as a rounded ball and then scoop it out into the hot oil. a little compression to make the ball and near perfection every time.

these scoops come in a few sizes and they're very well made. a great kitchen tool for those who like quality tools.

the fries are cut on a mandolin (russets with skin on), salted cold water soaked for 60 mins, then dried and then 2x fried. first cook is around 325-340 for 3 mins to cook the fries then removed to cool. then oil to 375 for a very hot 2 min crisping fry (color and crunch).

curry ketchup - just add curry powder to ketchup with a dash of hot sauce and mix. great flavor and more interesting that straight Heinz.

you need to make a CA swing. the food, drinks and sun are good here. i won't comment on the rest as this is a cooking forum. we're in a nice area of NorCal, just 75 mins down from South Lake Tahoe, 90 mins to Napa/Sonoma, 40 mins from Amador wineries, 90 mins to SF and 35 mins to the airport for escapes.

Last edited:

Back