Homemade char siu for ramen

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
I love an excuse to make char siu ("char syoo"), Chinese marinated and roasted/grilled pork. Marinated the little pork butt for 24 hour. I'll put the recipe at the end...
Grilled the pork directly for a couple minutes for a sear, then indirectly to tenderize for a few minutes. Gotta love the CIGs.

DSC_0154_zps8c4e7b4d.jpg

Ramen is basically noodles in a rich Japanese broth. Toppings are typically some roast pork and other good stuff. It varies regionally and restaurant to restaurant in Japan. I took some liberties... shrimp meatballs, sliced char siu, shiitake mushrooms, nori, braised Swiss chard and quick pickled ginger/scallions in the center. There's some noodles under there somewhere.

DSC_0163_zpsd4cabc23.jpg

Hot and tasty on another chilly night in NJ. Here's the char siu recipe. Enjoy and be well my friends!

1 whole pork butt, about 3 lbs

Marinade:
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp brown bean sauce, optional
2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
2-3 pieces of red fermented tofu
1.5 tsp 5-spice powder

Basting liquid:
1/8 cup malt sugar or honey
½ cup hot water

Mash up all marinade ingredients together.
Cut the pork butt into ¾ inch slices. Combine with marinade, cover and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.
Grill the pork over medium/medium-low hot coals. Turn frequently, basting each time. Be careful not to burn; cook until well done. Let cool to handle, and slice thinly across the grain to serve.
Char siu freezes very well. Bag in batches of ½ lb each and freeze. Slice char siu and stir fry with vegetables with a little salt, white pepper, and oyster sauce to season.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris. Yup, made the broth. Used David Chang's Momofuku as a guide. Broth is basic chicken carcass and veg with ginger, simmered for 3 hours. The taré (additional super-broth) was caramelized red miso and Chinese black vinegar, with some soy and white and black pepper to punch the flavor.

Seriously bad azz. Next snowy day I'm going to give it a whirl. I have a few (what's the plural for carcass?) carcai that I have to get to. Curious about the caramelized red miso. Is that prepared? Or do you modify miso paste? Also same question applies to the tofu? I have never heard of "red fermented"?

Chris, find a ramen recipe you like. there are dozens on the net. The miso and black vinegar was my own idea. As far as red fermented tofu... it comes in a jar in Chinese stores. Optional for this char siu recipe. No worries.
The red tofu looks like this, depending on the brand:
red-bean-curd.jpg

Very nice showing of yet another side to grilling. Great recipe to try, great pics to look at; Thank You Gary. This forum is killing me: more meals planned (fantasied) than hours in a day. But the days are getting longer...

Back