HOMEMADE BACON GRAVY

INGREDIENTS

6 slices bacon
2 tablespoons bacon grease
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS

Preheat a large skillet to medium-hi. Place 6 slices of bacon in the skillet and cook until just under crispy.
Remove bacon from skillet and drain; set aside. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
Add flour to grease, and whisk together. Cook for about a minute without burning the flour.
Add milk; whisk together.
Heat until bubbling. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, until sauce starts to thicken.
Meanwhile, crumble bacon. Add salt and pepper (to taste), and bacon to gravy. Allow to simmer until desired consistency.
Serve over biscuits.

Nice post + recipe @Rich Dahl!

I'm more of a hot sausage gravy kind of guy, but in the last couple of months, twice I've had a hankering for gravy and biscuits for a 'breakfast for dinner' type deal, and when I head to the fridge there's no sausage and I've made it virtually the same as your recipe. Still delicious, of course, because bacon fat is the manna of the Gods! I have several old coffee mugs full of it in my cabinet. Just made some fried cabbage with some the other day.

Nice post + recipe @Rich Dahl!

I'm more of a hot sausage gravy kind of guy, but in the last couple of months, twice I've had a hankering for gravy and biscuits for a 'breakfast for dinner' type deal, and when I head to the fridge there's no sausage and I've made it virtually the same as your recipe. Still delicious, of course, because bacon fat is the manna of the Gods! I have several old coffee mugs full of it in my cabinet. Just made some fried cabbage with some the other day.
I have several old coffee mugs full of it in my cabinet. Just made some fried cabbage with some the other day.

Cabbage and bacon grease....OH YES!

Thanks for the reminder. DH made your recipe Rich, 2 mornings ago. We also keep a mug of grease in the fridge. DH did not use fresh bacon and only crumbled 4 precooked slices in the gravy. Maybe that was what was wrong with it. Just could not taste the bacon. Will try it again soon, the right way.

(did cook turnip greens in the bacon grease last night, with onions, that was very good)

Back