Home built control system

Tony Lampher

TVWBB Fan
I built a custom PLC/touchscreen program for a 2 pit smoker. That was before I knew about the BBQ Guru. The reason I started this project was because a friend of mine knew I was handy in automation and was getting into competition BBQ's. I built it and he decided to buy a smoker with a built in basic temp control. I have since bought myself a WSM and am now debating using my custom built controller or buying the BBQ guru. I do not have the parts laying around for my custom so only have time invested in it and the parts would cost more then what the BBQ Guru sells for, but I can customize my controller how ever I feel necessary, so am still in debate on the issue. Below are the pros and cons for both mine and the Guru.

1. GURU has remote capability, mine does not unless I upgrade to a touch screen with a web interface.

2. Mine can be customized and has adjustments for both damper control and a fan.

3. Mine has a larger display screen which is also touch, so it is very easy to make any changes.

4. The guru trending is superior to mine.

5. PRIDE in doing it yourself!

I could build one also but never felt the motivation with the stoker already providing a great web interface which you can then use to innovate. Stokerlog came about that way and you can build your own version.

I personally have little need for display on the unit other than it showing its health. Using the PC to program and track is so much more superior. So if you want to build one, invest in a controller which has a web server as Rock did with stoker. That is the way to go.

Indeed, I just bought a new sprinkler which works the same way as I got tired of messing with the small LCDs on standard units.

I just got done building a custom 20 zone sprinkler controller with the same small touch screen! It also controls all of his outdoor lighting, and he is having me add a slip and slide button on the main page for the kids! I love automation, fun stuff! Just wish I could afford to build more for myself.

Automation is indeed fun. This is the sprinkler system I bought for $120. It controls 10 zones and fully programming from a browser:

IC-Operation2.jpg

I love automation myself! I am a recovering X-10 junkie... I use to control just about everything from my PC. My wife rebelled and made me remove all modules and wall switches. Now I have this new hobby of slow cook BBQ! That said, I think I am going to go with a Stoker instead of the Guru just because the Stoker Log software. And using the Stoker with Twitter seems like a good replacement for my Maverick ET-73.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Automation is indeed fun. This is the sprinkler system I bought for $120. It controls 10 zones and fully programming from a browser: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amir - I looked at there web site and it appears they only have the controller. What are you using for the individual zone controls?

Curt

It is an all-in-one unit and drives the solenoid valves directly. You don't need anything else to use it.

I just fired mine up and seems to work well. I have a few things to ask them to improve but otherwise, it was fun walking around the yard with my laptop while I was trying to identify which zone was which!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sheldon Koehler:
I love automation myself! I am a recovering X-10 junkie... I use to control just about everything from my PC. My wife rebelled and made me remove all modules and wall switches. Now I have this new hobby of slow cook BBQ! That said, I think I am going to go with a Stoker instead of the Guru just because the Stoker Log software. And using the Stoker with Twitter seems like a good replacement for my Maverick ET-73. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you looked into the software guru offers? It also has logging, but has many more features and does not require a screen refresh to see the most recent data. The only thing I see better about the stocker is that you can have several different meat sensors on one pit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony Lampher:
Have you looked into the software guru offers? It also has logging, but has many more features and does not require a screen refresh to see the most recent data. The only thing I see better about the stocker is that you can have several different meat sensors on one pit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Putting aside the self-serving comment on my part that stokerlog has capability leaps and bounds beyond their software
icon_smile.gif
, the problem with Guru is the hardware, not software. Stoker has an Ethernet interface so it can be accessed remotely with ease. With Guru's USB, you are highly limited unless you want to dangle a PC next to it and then remote that interface.

Guru makes good products but they are in catch-up mode and made the wrong call on how to interface to the PC. Sure USB is cheaper and easier to do but it is not our job to make their job easier
icon_smile.gif

BTW, stokerlog updates at roughly once a second all the probe data. It is only its browser interface which requires manual refresh if you want to see the data sooner than its default.

Stoker also has the ability to monitor more than 2 pits. If I decide I actually like Comps, I may want 4 WSM's some day. If I was only going to use this on one pit, I would get the Guru unit as it is a few bucks cheaper and does what I would want.

Amir,
With the Guru you can buy a low cost wireless USB interface and that can go to any computer in your home or trailer if at a competition. If you so desire to see it across town you can just access that computer from your phone. And I do not believe the stocker is capable of changing the pit temp based on the meat temp like you can with the guru.

Sheldon,
If you price out the stocker vs the guru, it would actually be lower cost to have 2 gurus running 4 pits then it would be running 4 pits with 1 stocker. Another bonus about going that route is that should 1 system fail you still have 2 pits in control where with the stocker you would have none.

Thanks Tony. I probably will not be ready to purchase until next Spring, so I have plenty of time to decide what router I go. Who knows, maybe a third option will be available by then...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony Lampher:
Amir,
With the Guru you can buy a low cost wireless USB interface and that can go to any computer in your home or trailer if at a competition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not sure which unit you are speaking of but the Dlink DUB-9240 they recommend has a range of only 30 feet and due to its high frequency, likely will not go through many walls, especially that of a metal trailer. It also requires a driver install on the PC I believe.

With stoker, you have a choice of long wired connection (Ethernet) or wireless. I opted for the former due to reliability issues with wireless. Should I have used wireless, it would have been compatible with my home network and much longer range and capability than above device.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you so desire to see it across town you can just access that computer from your phone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And that is the issue the I mentioned. Dangling a PC should not be required when there is a simpler solution with a web server built into the device.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And I do not believe the stocker is capable of changing the pit temp based on the meat temp like you can with the guru. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Stokerlog has that capability. It can for example be told to keep the food warm when it reaches target temp. Stokerlog will automatically change the pit temp to accommodate. Since I can modify stokerlog software at will, we can add any features members require. The last feature set in this area for example, was timed cooking where you can enter 4 different time intervals & temps, all automatically managed by stokerlog/stoker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sheldon Koehler:
Stoker also has the ability to monitor more than 2 pits. If I decide I actually like Comps, I may want 4 WSM's some day. If I was only going to use this on one pit, I would get the Guru unit as it is a few bucks cheaper and does what I would want. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sheldon,

Do the math and I believe you will find that you can buy two CyberGuru II's and all the items to control four pits for less money than one Stoker and the accessories to control one pit.

I say this not to promote one unit over another, but I see people rule out the Guru because the want to run more than two pits and price wise you shouldn't. You may have other reasons to prefer the Stoker but don't let the number of pits be the sole factor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by steve roxberg:
Stoker also has the ability to monitor more than 2 pits. If I decide I actually like Comps, I may want 4 WSM's some day. If I was only going to use this on one pit, I would get the Guru unit as it is a few bucks cheaper and does what I would want. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sheldon,

Do the math and I believe you will find that you can buy two CyberGuru II's and all the items to control four pits for less money than one Stoker and the accessories to control one pit.

I say this not to promote one unit over another, but I see people rule out the Guru because the want to run more than two pits and price wise you shouldn't. You may have other reasons to prefer the Stoker but don't let the number of pits be the sole factor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, I did the math. Even monitoring 4 pits without food monitoring costs 1012 with Guru CBQII, while the same with a Stoker would be 545. Neither setup includes a PS or network equipment.

4 pits, 2 meats/pit

STOKER
Controller $175
4 fans 115
4 adapters 100
4 pit probes 140
3-port expan 25
____

That would be pit control only. To monitor 2 meats/pit, add 8 food probes, and 3 more 3-port expanders.
8 food probes 280
3 3-port exp 75
____
TOTAL 900

CYBERQII
2 control 528
4 fans 236
4 adapt 68
4 pit probes 100
____

To add food monitoring, add probes, but I believe the CBQII can only monitor 1 food/pit. If it can do 2/pit, then

8 food prob 200
____

If it can't, then the CBQII is 1012 for 4 pits with 1 food/pit, while the Stoker is 735 (only need 2 more 3-probe expanders and 4 probes).

Back