Holiday Smoking

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just ordered a turkey, and it is going to be in the 16-17 pound range...how long to brine and then smoke at the 300-350 range?

I also want to smoke a bunch of salmon, I have done it numerous times but want that flaky, semi-sweet smoke...any recs.?

Last, what is the best way to fire up the WSM if it is raining? thanks!

Jon

Hello John H.!!
I would highly encourage you to use the Honey brine recipe listed in the site. I like that with about 4 fist sized chunks of pecan or peach or a little of both! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ps. go the full 3 days to brine .
The Brown sugar salmon rub (i.e. Jim Minion's recipe) is fantastic. The best wood to use IMHO is alder. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hi John.
I've only done salmon once in the WSM so you are probably leaps ahead of me. I did 4 lbs for 4 hrs in the 180-200 range. Brined over night using the std solution less half the salt and added honey. I used three smallish chunks of hickory and it could have used more. Alder Is best but my chainsaw is in storage and I'm lazy. The fish was near perfect. Not sure what you mean by flakey but mine was very moist and did flake (as opposed to being mushy). You might try going the 200-220 range for a firmer, tad drier result.
Good luck and let us know.

Hey bob j-----
I gave you several sources for alder... What are you waiting for!!!!! A windstorm for Thanksgiving??? I think I remember 2 on that date in the last 20 years. Just let Puget Power cut the trees in sections and split some out---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back