Hole Plugs

Russell Y

TVWBB All-Star
Guru owner are supplied with tape to cover the remaining holes, after mounting the fan. After a while the tape gets old and falls off or you want to do a high temperature cook and take the tape off.

Rather than tape them again use hole plugs.

Hole plugs

I got mine at Lowes but any 3/4 metal hole plug will do.

They are pictured here - Hole Plugs

and here - Hole plugs

so this is not an original thought.

I saw some mention of using tape to cover unused holes in a post and thought these posts should be brought up.

Picture from one of the posts -
mondaybbqpics008.jpg

These would come in handy for Stoker users who want to remove the blower before the coals are completely out. I've been plugging the holes with balled up foil, which works but is a kludge compared to these hole plugs.

I used the tape then these electrical plugs for a good while/several years. Thing is to me this solution is temporary at best. If you aren't using the blower you loose use of the third vent unless you remove/replace this stuff when not using it. I don't use the Guru every cook, and tired of removing plugs, adapters, tape when I wanted to use the WSM without a blower.

Finally got off my butt and drilled the 7/8 hole to create a permanent mount and now just use the silicone plug that's supplied with the blower adapter.

This is the ultimate/final solution and provides the most flexibility. Took about 10 minutes to measure location, tape, light center punch, drill a pilot hole (1/8) and then use the 7/8 inch taper drill, dress the edges and mount the adapter.

The plugs though are a much better solution than the tape over time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
I used the tape then these electrical plugs for a good while/several years. Thing is to me this solution is temporary at best. If you aren't using the blower you loose use of the third vent unless you remove/replace this stuff when not using it. I don't use the Guru every cook, and tired of removing plugs, adapters, tape when I wanted to use the WSM without a blower.

Finally got off my butt and drilled the 7/8 hole to create a permanent mount and now just use the silicone plug that's supplied with the blower adapter.

This is the ultimate/final solution and provides the most flexibility. Took about 10 minutes to measure location, tape, light center punch, drill a pilot hole (1/8) and then use the 7/8 inch taper drill, dress the edges and mount the adapter.

The plugs though are a much better solution than the tape over time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you Ray. Every Weber I have (including kettles) has a drilled hole and a guru adapter.

Thanks for the tip, I purchased some and was actually able to find some made of Stainless Steel at the local hardware store.

Very fast to install, look great, and should work just fine.

Test run with the new CyberQ II this weekend.

I have been looking for these plugs but can't figure out what department they are in at the hardware store. I tried the ones in electrical but they are for junction boxes and don't fit right. Where are these chrome and stainless steel ones to be found?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Where are these chrome and stainless steel ones to be found? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At Lowes they are in the Hardware aisle in hardware drawers with the other nuts, bolts, washers. I think there was actually a drawer labeled "Vent Covers" and they were in there. Not sure about Ace or HD.

Good luck,
Kg

Before seeing this thread I decided to use plugs as well. I found them in the hardware drawers at Lowes. They were about a buck apiece. Before installing mine, I scuffed them up a bit with a Scotch-Brite pad, and then I painted them with high temp paint. I wanted to be sure they didn't rust. I also used a bit of high temperature food grade silicone to seal them in place. Much cleaner look than the tape that is supplied with the CyberQ, and it is totally reversible.

Back