Holding Tri-Tips

BradyB

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone. Tomorrow I am doing a reverse sear tri-tip. I have done this a couple times before with great results. One time I did hold them in a cooler with towels etc., but I forget how long they held. I only have one tri-tip. If I need to do the smoking portion earlier in the day, how long can they hold for wrapped in foil, blankets and in a cooler until I can finish them to medium rare by searing later...? I was thinking of taking them to an internal temp of 110-115, then taking them off, wrapping in foil/blankets and put in a cooler until I could sear them to medium rare temps (120-125?) later in the day. What do you think?

I think they don't take all that long to hit your initial target in the first place so why cook in two stages separated by all that time?

That said, if you must split the cook sear the meat a little - all sides, direct heat - first, and do not insert a probe till after you have done so, then low/slow to your target. Wrap and hold no longer than 2 hours. Leftovers should be promptly cooled then chilled.

Thanks Kevin. I haven't used my smoker in a while and wanted to use mine instead of my father in laws
icon_smile.gif
He also has one of those char broil offsets and uses straight up oak bark (I think he gets too much smoke and a bit harsh), hence me wanting to smoke on mine and finish searing on his grill when it comes time to serve.

I see. Then go with the latter approach. Go with the all-side lighr sear first (this is for food safety since you'll be holding) the low/slow to target. Keep the hold time as short as possible but definitely no more than 2 hours (safety again). Sear to finish at your father's.

Have fun.

Back