Holding ribs for 2-4hrs

Hello

Having 15 to 20 people over and I'd like to have most things done before arrival.

I checked internet for info on holding ribs in a cooler. Prepped cooler by placing pot of boiling water on top of towels until I needed to use. Could not find much info as to when to sauce the ribs when holding.

So I did a cook yesterday to test. Sauced and pulled ribs at 195-200. Wrapped in foil and placed in cooler, after removing the hot water.

Opened foil after three hours. Ribs were still warm, nice. But..... sauce had firmed up way too much, like on the edge of burning. Some bites were also a bit dry and the bark leathery in places. Yuck

Anyway, I can see how the sauce did what it did by saucing before wrapping. Do people hold and then sauce prior to serving? I like the tackiness when serving ribs normally but maybe this is how you need to do it. Also don't mind serving dry and letting folks add sauce or not.

Also, the ribs seemed to have a bit of carry over cooking. Is that normal? I didn't think I overcooked prior to holding.

Anyways, would appreciate some wisdom here. Thanks!

Welcome to the TVWBB family, Jeff !
It's normal to cool the just cooked meat to a level where it is no longer cooking. Once there, most all meats can be held for hours at that temperature. 170 deg F is often used as that temperature.

Back