holding butts in oven instead of cooler?

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
Does anyone see any negative to holdong buts after cooking Wrapped in an oven set at say 200? rather than a cooler.

I figure I could leave them that way and not be concerned that temps will drop

Thanks

I always wrap my butts and beef roasts in foil, then two towels and then stick them in the microwave. Not to cook them more--I leave the microwave off--but just because the microwave is insulated...or so I surmise. I've held them in there for several hours and if anything the internal temps go up some, not down.

I do the same: one or two butts in the nuker, with towel. (Waving your way DW--climbing the Cabbage Patch grade on 84 east of Pendleton as I type.)

The potential problem of holding in a 200 oven is that the butts will continue to cook.

Most ovens go as low as 170º. If wanting to hold in an oven, I'd go with the 170º temp, as not too cook the meat anymore. But you can hold in a cooler for 4-6 hrs. no problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Most ovens go as low as 170º. If wanting to hold in an oven, I'd go with the 170º temp, as not too cook the meat anymore. But you can hold in a cooler for 4-6 hrs. no problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>ya, mine goes right down to 100ºF when I hold in the oven I go with 140ºF

I stuck a couple of butts once in the oven. I forgot what temp my oven went down to but it was higher than I wanted. I just set the oven at the lowest temp and cracked the door open.

Back