Hold time for butts

Paul G.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I did two 7 lb butts last night using sand. Started at 6:00 p.m. and had no event or meal deadline to meet. I got up at 6 a.m. and pit temp was 225 with plenty of fuel left. Stuck a Polder in and and it measured 195. Decided to let it go a bit because I NEEDED a cup of coffee. Stirred the coals a little and temp went back to 240. At 7 a.m. the meat temp was 203. I pulled them off and wrapped in HD foil, put in a cooler with towels.

Nothing very interesting about this story so far. I decided to wait and extended time to do the pulling to see what the meat temp would do. I pulled at 2 p.m. - 7 hours after they came off the pit. Checked with a Thermapen and temp was 146. Obviously no danger and the meat still had to cool a little in pieces so I could start the pulling.

Point. Holding in the cooler gives you lots of flex time on preparation, so why not start early and avoid some stress.

Paul

With butts I agree totally. Though I've never had a reason to go quite that long your point is a good one. A less stressful cook is always welcome.

I think you have to be more circumspect with brisket since they have less fat (usually), and are thinner to begin with. I think you have to be careful not to cook to too high an internal, especially if you plan on or require a long rest. I know some like to go to the mid-high 190s or 200 before pulling but I think you run the risk of the meat drying during the rest. But pulled at a lower temp, the brisket can take (and needs) a long rest, 2 hours 3, 4--somewhere in there it's ready to eat.

Back