hoisin sauce

Greg

TVWBB Super Fan
my wife and i made some stir fry last night, one of the ingredients being hoisin sauce. i had a few tastes of it, and thought it would be great on bbq. have any of you tried it?

It's something I use quite frequently. I think it's probably too strong on its own to use but a little bit added in to something else is great!

I love hoisin sauce, and have often wondered about making Chinese Q. I imagine a marinade of soya, 5 spices, some black bean sauce and a dash of hot chili sauce (be careful with that stuff!) would be amazing. Then put on a coating of hoisin an hour before finish.

That's something I've wanted to try for a long time. You're motivating me. I hope there's lots of response tp this from people with experience.

It's always in my fridge. It's a great accent flavour for Asian style stuff.

Michael G's recipe is similar to the one I use. I'll go soya sauce, rice wine vinegar (or lime juice), hoisin, chili sauce, grated ginger and garlic, sesame oil, veg oil.

The vinegar and oil you proportion the same way as when you're making salad dressing. The other stuff, you just use your judgment.

Alternatively, if you're making your own ketchup-based BBQ sauce, just put some hoisin into the mix. It's sweet stuff, so pull back on the brown sugar you would normally add to your sauce.

Back