Hoisin sauce and smoke do they mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff lowe

TVWBB Super Fan
I used to make asian ribs in the oven before I had my WSM and really liked these also! I used a mixture of garlic, soy sauce, hoisin, hot sauce, 5 spice powder, etc.

I was wondering if I marinated in this mixture if it would come out.

I think I read somewhere that hoisin sauce and smoke do not mix is it true?

Hi Jeff!! How ya been?

I have never done Hoisin with smoke so not much help. You may want to try NOT using any wood! For the family, I do this with our chicken...we don't care for the smokey flavor, so I use no wood.

Stogie

I'd do the ribs with a basic spice rub (maybe salt, pepper, garlic powder, a touch of 5 spice powder) and leave the hoisin to the finishing sauce so it doesn't burn.

Chris Schlesinger uses a hoisin BBQ sauce in "Thrill of the Grill" ...

3 parts hoisin
3 parts ketchup
1 part rice wine vinegar
1 part soy sauce

No reason you couldn't punch that up with ginger, etc. too.

Jeff,

I was reading Weber's Big Book of Grilling last night and noticed that the authors specifically state that traditional American smoke woods tend to clash with the flavor of hoisin sauce. They did not say whether there was a non-traditional wood that was appropriate.

Just one data point. I say try it and tell us what you think.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Jeff,
Just wanted to say I use my sister-In-law's Hosin BBQ Rib Recipe and smoke with Keawe ( Mesquite ) and it turns out fine. I also use Hickory wood too. Only diffrence is my sauce and methods are quite diffrent from everybody else's style. I soak my ribs overnite in a soy, sugar, sesame, garlic and ginger sauce overnight. Then put these ribs in the WSM and baste with the leftover marinade mixed in with hosing ( 1 Part Hosing / 2 - Parts marinade ) add honey, sambal ( chili garlic paste for some "kick" ) and baste every 2 hours. I then take the leftover baste and cook over the fire to thicken up and use it as sauce and coat the ribs about an 1/2 hour before I take it off the smoker. You can also put some cooked sauce out for dipping.
I will smoke for only about the first 2 or 3 hours, after that I don't add anymore wood chuncks or chips. I like them and so does my In-laws, but like Chris says try it out and let us know. Aloha, mattD
wink.gif

I heard from someone else that it came out ok using oak and cherry. I guess I will give it a go using soysauce, garlic, ginger, maple syrup, ketchup, sanbal chili sauce, 5 spice, and hoisin marinated overnight and as a baste and glaze at the end. Will let everyone know how it came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back