HM version 4 Rpi 3d print case

Tom,

Will you be seriously taking orders? And if so do you have an ETA of when and how much? I have an offer to print for $50 + $10 shipping in ABS but I thought I would check and see if you are going to be printing these up. Thanks for the reply!

Tom,

Will you be seriously taking orders? And if so do you have an ETA of when and how much? I have an offer to print for $50 + $10 shipping in ABS but I thought I would check and see if you are going to be printing these up. Thanks for the reply!

I will make cases for people that have been posting in this forum as much as I can. I embarked on this whole project because I love bbq and having side projects, not to mention I wanted to contribute in some small way to this amazing project. That being said, I have no intention on starting a business doing this. Once I have something that I can reliably and functionally print, I will only charge as much as it costs me to ship. I can't give an exact ETA because I am only able to work on this as much as I am willing to sacrifice sleep. I am a physician, currently in the middle of my residency, with twin baby girls at home. Time is at a premium for me right now but I am very anxious on finishing this case so I will hopefully have it together soon.

I will make cases for people that have been posting in this forum as much as I can. I embarked on this whole project because I love bbq and having side projects, not to mention I wanted to contribute in some small way to this amazing project. That being said, I have no intention on starting a business doing this. Once I have something that I can reliably and functionally print, I will only charge as much as it costs me to ship. I can't give an exact ETA because I am only able to work on this as much as I am willing to sacrifice sleep. I am a physician, currently in the middle of my residency, with twin baby girls at home. Time is at a premium for me right now but I am very anxious on finishing this case so I will hopefully have it together soon.

Good gosh man! How do you find time to do anything BUT sleep? No rush and thank you for giving back to this community.I think I might be able to make my free case from OK WEN work until another option is available.

Tom, I would love to get a case from you when one becomes available. I recently finished designing and fabricating a fan housing that can be fabricated from sheet aluminum (aluminium flashing). When I get a chance, I need to upload the flat plate diagram with all bending and cutting details for others to use. The fan I chose is slightly different from the one in the material list, but when I get time I could probably modify the design to reflect the fan used in the material list.

I am a physician, currently in the middle of my residency, with twin baby girls at home. Time is at a premium for me right now but I am very anxious on finishing this case so I will hopefully have it together soon.

Based on what I've heard from my friends who have been doing their residencies, it's amazingly tough. I can't imagine doing it with twins at home!

Hello everyone!

I've yet to build a heatermeter (parts on order...). I was directed to this thread about a 3D printable case for the 4.0 setup. The case looks great, but the walls are a bit thin for my printer. I've omitted the tabs and implemented M3 hardware (25mm bolts) to secure the case.

RepRap+Friendly+Case.jpg

Any issues with the attached images? As I don't have the hardware yet I can't tell about the clearances, and the opening images in the thread are too dark to really tell - the black case doesn't help either.

I've posted the files to github.

Just let me know what changes are necessary.

Matt

Hey Matt, I've been working on something along the same lines as what you put together. I tried to keep the overall design similar to the original so I limited it to 2 screws instead of 4, but I maintained the guide ridges. Here is the bottom for my new case:

51u14z.jpg

My heated bed thermistor died so I'm waiting for a replacement so I can try printing this. If you want the .stl to try on your printer, I will post it. One problem I see with your design is that your screw holes encroach on the corners and the case is designed to tightly fit the corners of the hardware, so you will likely have a problem with the fit.

Tom,

That is what I was worried about. I'm kindof at a disadvantage without the hardware on hand. I like the new standoffs - much more robust. Can you email me or post the file for the bottom?

I've revised the original remix to this:

RepRap+Friendly+Case+v2.jpg

A bit larger, but better than the first one. I've uploaded it to github if you want to take a look.

But aside from this...

Your Prusa looks really good! You don't really need the heated bed (unless you're printing ABS of course). Just comment out the appropriate sections in the firmware and it will give you no problems, then print on painters tape until you get you replacement thermistor. :)

Are you active over on the reprap forums? I'm akhlut over there.

Matt

Thanks Matt, I'll give that a shot. I haven't really spent much time in the reprap forums. I probably should instead of learning everything the hard way. Here are the stl and 123d files for that new bottom:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1qMo4bilbhhaGRCLVcyUUZ5eWc/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1qMo4bilbhhZl9TYTQ0VlFaZDA/edit

I'll adjust the corresponding top once I verify it fits. There's no reason it shouldn't though.

I have a friend from high school who is going to print me a case and have a local source who can print them for $25. Iis this the version I should go for or are we still verifying if it will work?

I have a friend from high school who is going to print me a case and have a local source who can print them for $25. Iis this the version I should go for or are we still verifying if it will work?

The files on the front page are for the original version of the case which were designed with the goal of keeping the volume of plastic to an absolute minimum so that the price would not be astronomical when printing from companies like shapeways. Those designs are for a different technology of 3D printing and are not really suitable for a reprap style of printer. Matt and I have been revising the files for a reprap and don't have a confirmed prototype yet. The file that I posted is my newest design for the bottom. Once I or someone else print that with a DIY 3D printer and confirm that it fits the hardware, I will make the necessary adjustments to the top piece. So to answer your question, there is not currently confirmed design for a reprap style printer.

Printed it out last night and this morning.

xKv03Pk.jpg

7VkwjKP.jpg

ErA8rTc.jpg

Not perfect. I had to make some adjustments to the machine last night (re-leveling the bed, adjusting the Z-axis a bit, etc), so it might take a little while do eliminate some of the printing artifacts. But getting there.

Matt

Matt,
I like it a lot! I like the corners, are they big enough to protect the probe head, so you could put it on it's side and rest on the corners?

very cool,
dave

The files on the front page are for the original version of the case which were designed with the goal of keeping the volume of plastic to an absolute minimum so that the price would not be astronomical when printing from companies like shapeways. Those designs are for a different technology of 3D printing and are not really suitable for a reprap style of printer. Matt and I have been revising the files for a reprap and don't have a confirmed prototype yet. The file that I posted is my newest design for the bottom. Once I or someone else print that with a DIY 3D printer and confirm that it fits the hardware, I will make the necessary adjustments to the top piece. So to answer your question, there is not currently confirmed design for a reprap style printer.

Okay I will ask what type or style of printer will be used. I also prefer the one with screws over the tabs. I will post back when I hear back from the printer.

Back