Hit or Miss Brisket Smoke Ring

D. Logan

TVWBB Member
Smoke Ring on Briskets... Okay, I've probably smoked a hundred briskets over the last few years on my WSM's. I'm very pleased with the texture and flavor, but getting a decent smoke ring has been hit or miss. It's something that I want for aesthetics. I put the meat on directly from the fridge or cooler. Injecting (or not) does not seem to matter. Rubs are a simple dalmatian, then a more standard rub...either my own or TX BBQ Rub, nothing too thick. I start with a full ring or Kingsford blue with 5 wood chunks in about 10-12" circle, and start the fire using the Minon method. Sometimes I wrap, other times I don't...but when I do wrap I am at least 165 degrees internal. I have cooked low/slow at 210-225 and also around 265-275. Fat side down. Sometimes I get a little ring, sometimes none. Anyone else have this challenge? Thanks.

I have found that the more time the meat spends at lower temperatures initially, the better the smoke ring. I have read that the chemical reaction which produces the smoke ring happens best between fridge temp and when the meat hits about ~135 or so.

Also, because the smoke is coming up from the bottom, it seems to be that if you cook fat side down, that may be blocking the meat from getting the direct smoke and hence might have an effect on the appearance of a smoke ring. I would try fat side up and maybe putting the brisket on a little earlier before the WSM comes all the way up to temp so it spends a little longer cooking at the lower temperatures.

What he said! :)

My one caveat is that I don't think fat cap up or down will change the outcome. Once the chamber is full of smoke, and it happens almost instantly if the fire is right, the conditions should be right. However, time is the important factor, so, for a great ring, slow it down on the cook temp, and put it on cold so it takes longer for the meat to come up to temp. This should net you a great ring.

I have found that the more time the meat spends at lower temperatures initially, the better the smoke ring. I have read that the chemical reaction which produces the smoke ring happens best between fridge temp and when the meat hits about ~135 or so.

Also, because the smoke is coming up from the bottom, it seems to be that if you cook fat side down, that may be blocking the meat from getting the direct smoke and hence might have an effect on the appearance of a smoke ring. I would try fat side up and maybe putting the brisket on a little earlier before the WSM comes all the way up to temp so it spends a little longer cooking at the lower temperatures.

Cheat and rub your brisket with Mortons tender quick if you want a smoke ring. Water in the pan and soaking your wood may also help. The exterior of the meat is below 140 the better.

I've tried putting the meat on as the soon as the fire is lit, with not much of a difference. I've also tried fat side up, and it doesn't make a difference...other than making a mess of the bark.

Cheat and rub your brisket with Mortons tender quick if you want a smoke ring. Water in the pan and soaking your wood may also help. The exterior of the meat is below 140 the better.

I've tried the TQ also, and it will add color, but it very obvious as to what is natural and what isn't. I wouldn't dare use it in a comp. Some of the best color I have gotten when when I used water soaked wood chips. I know that others cook the same (or at least the I think the same) way as me with different results.

The smoke ring in meat is caused by four things:
1) Low temperature cooking.
2) Combustion and the gases it creates, especially nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxides.
3) Moisture on the surface of the meat to help move the water soluble gases into the meat.
4) Myoglobin.
All of the major competitions have gotten rid of smoke rings as way to judge as it can be achieved by using things like Morton's tender quick.

The smoke ring in meat is caused by four things:
1) Low temperature cooking.
2) Combustion and the gases it creates, especially nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxides.
3) Moisture on the surface of the meat to help move the water soluble gases into the meat.
4) Myoglobin.
All of the major competitions have gotten rid of smoke rings as way to judge as it can be achieved by using things like Morton's tender quick.

If Bill is correct then it seems to me the missing factor in your process would be a moist meat surface. Perhaps spritzing or mopping the Brisket would help. This would have to be done early on in the cook before the internal temp reaching 140 or so.

Spritzing isn't going to add moisture to your meat since it just evaporates off the surface. It's the moisture content of the meat that matters. Corned beef and pastrami basically have a smoke ring throughout due to brining so what about brining for a short period before smoking?

Using briquettes rather than lump helps with the ring I've heard. But let us go. The ring has nothing to do with quality Q. I always get a tiny ring ;( but I like the results otherwise...

I seem to get mixed results also, but even when I get just a thin smoke ring the meat has been amazing in texture and taste, so I don't worry about it. Most of the time it is a smallish ring.

Back