Hinge Top Grate

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
Sometime back I read a thread on this website regarding the lack of ready access to the bottom grate on the WSM when you are cooking on both grates. The idea was to put a Weber Hinge Grate on top so you could put a long handled basting brush through the hinge grate in order to baste the meat below. Have any of you put a Hinge grate on top?

Richard

WSM, OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

i was thinking of getting the 18 inche kettle stainless steel grate for my WSM . more for the stainless steel rather than the hinges. i have had the SS for my 22.5 for over 2 years and it's still in excellent shape after heavy use.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richard garcia:
Sometime back I read a thread on this website regarding the lack of ready access to the bottom grate on the WSM when you are cooking on both grates. The idea was to put a Weber Hinge Grate on top so you could put a long handled basting brush through the hinge grate in order to baste the meat below. Have any of you put a Hinge grate on top?

Richard

WSM, OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
IMO, it would be easier just to put the gloves on and lift the top grate off and baste the food on the lower rack. It would be alot faster verses trying to flip the grate up and baste one side then flip up and do the other side. Also, depending on what and how much food is on the top grate, you might have to move the food around to be able to flip up the hinged grate, i.e a whole packer wedged between the handles of the top grate.

Gotta say I'm with Bryan on this one. Just not worth it to me to do any mods, since I have the glove sitting there anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
i was thinking of getting the 18 inche kettle stainless steel grate for my WSM . more for the stainless steel rather than the hinges. i have had the SS for my 22.5 for over 2 years and it's still in excellent shape after heavy use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I got one some months ago for the WSM. Cleans up better and faster than the stock cooking grate IMO. Leave it in some warm soapy water for about 15 minutes and it brushes off easily. I plan on having it a long time.
BTW Tony, sorry to hear about your friend

Learn something every day from this great website; I was not aware that the stock cooking grill on the WSM(old model) was not stainless steel. What is it made of?

Richard

WSM(Old Model), OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richard garcia:
Learn something every day from this great website; I was not aware that the stock cooking grill on the WSM(old model) was not stainless steel. What is it made of?

Richard

WSM(Old Model), OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nickel plated

and looking at weber's site the SS grate is over 3 dollars less than the plated one. that's odd

What about the charcoal grate/ I've had my WSM less than a year, but it looks to be very "rotted" already. I keep the smoker covered, and get no moisture in there.

I picked up a 18" hinged grate on clearance at HD for $3 and use it on my WSM. I does help when basting meats on the lower level, especially larger cuts. With things like ribs and chicken pieces, it can be a bit of a challenge to reach pieces/racks in the middle of the lower grate.

Back