High Temps

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I know a couple weeks ago low temps were discussed, but I am really having a problem keeping the temperature down... Today I was smoking some ribs, top rack only... I feel like I followed the instructions for the BRITU ribs... Filled the ring 2/3 full, put the chimney coals on top... When I first put the meat on it was reading about 270 - 275, on the grill... As time went along it kept going up, till it finally got above 300*... By the way, ALL vents on the bottom were closed...
Any suggestions?!?
Thanks
Gary in Searcy, AR

Assuming you're using a full water pan, I would suggest using less charcoal. For a single slab of ribs I use only about a third of a ring of unlit coals and dump about 20-30 lit ones on top. This is plenty for a 6-8 hour cook. My temps usually run at about 230-240? at the lid.

Steve

Gary,

Just a couple of things. In the BRITU write-up I did, I put the lit coals from the chimney into the charcoal ring, then added unlit coals on top to fill the ring to 2/3. I did not fill the ring 2/3 with unlit charcoal then add a chimney full of hot coals. That would be way too much fuel.

Second, I added cold water to the water pan, which soaked up a lot of energy from those hot coals. You didn't say whether you used hot or cold water in the pan.

Regards,
Chris

Chris, thanks ... I sure feel stupid about now... As a former school tewacher I remember many times telling my kids "to read the entire" thing before making a decision... Sure enough you are RIGHT... Dump in enough unlit to bring to to 2/3 full !!! By the way the ribs still turned out perfect once again !!!
Anyway, thanks once again... By the way, the 2 thermometers are really where it's at... Along with the ribs, I also did "Quick Chick" from Smoke and Spice.. Had one probe on the top grill with the ribs and the other in the chicken breast on the bottom telling me when the temp got to 180*... Thanks again for you help...
Gary Smith in Searcy, AR

Hi Gary!!

Glad to hear all came out well!

One suggestion....chicken breasts only need to reach 160-165?. The dark meat needs to be at 180?. Breasts may dry out at those higher temps.

Stogie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back