high temp WSM question

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
I'm looking for help at getting the WSM to work at 325 degrees. I was thinking fo runing it with a dry pan and to get there. Any thougths?

What temps do the bulletts run at with a dry pan usually?

I'm planning on making the lechon asado cuban pork roast recipie in the July-August cooks illustrated this month for a party on monday. I figure i can fit two roasts on the top shelf and the cook is 2-3 hours at 225 then up to 325 for 2-3 hours to get the pork picnics to an internal temprature of 190.

My thoughts were to start a normal cook at around 8:00 am and then at 11:00 or so dump the water in the pan and open the vents to acheive a 325.

The recipie looks really good it has a 24hr garlic citrus /brine/marinade then coated with a garlic citris paste before cooking. sounds like a 5-6 hour cook total and it'll be the first time I use picnic's.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I'm doing some chicken at this moment on a dry pan. The hood temp got up to 390, I just backed the vents down to get it to 350. I'm burning Humphreys lump, which burns pretty hot. Good luck.

I would forego the water in the pan from the beginning, because it isn't necessary, and trying to remove a pan with boiling water could result in a disaster. Do a Minion start and use a little less lit coals at the beginning than you normally would.

thanks, that helps!! i'm going to use old kingsford which should burn a not quite as hot and manage the vents to 225. I may start the cook with sand inthe pan to avoid the water issue .

thanks!!

I seem to be one of those guys who has trouble keeping the temp over 250 for any length of time. I start with the standard method and I wait until the coals are really burning before I assemble the cooker (with a dry, foiled pan). At first, the temp goes to 375 or so but it soon falls to 300. It'll stay there for about 3 hrs but then I have to keep adding lots of lit coals pretty frequently after that. I used an 18 lb bag of new K during a 6 hr 300 degree cook last weekend.

I successfully did a 7 hour rib cook low and slow, and then stuck a whole chicken on afterwards. I used water in the pan in the beginning for the ribs, by the time I was ready for the chicken, there was hardly any left. I didn't do anything but open up my access door to get the heat up to 350-375, which stayed there for the 1.5 hours I cooked the chicken with. I left the access door ajar, only closing it to get the smoke contained for short periods of time.

I did a standard MM, and when I was ready for the chix, I added a couple more chunks of wood. This was a great cook.

When I am using kinsford and am having trouble getting temps up to 350 I prop the access door open. I flip it upside down and prop it open a tad with a metal bar. I think I read that tip here some where, it works great.

Back