High Temp Problems

David Willis

TVWBB Member
I think this is the first time I've tried to do high temp with the new Kingsford (using Minion Method), and I can't seem to get to stay at 300. I've had to open the access door for a few minutes to let it get really hot. All vents stay open. Only a slight occasional breeze in Spring (TX), so I don't think that's it.

Cook a fattie (10lb) and brisket (12lb) and sand in the pan and it's been about 3 hours now. Any ideas?

First thing that comes to my mind is the amount of fully lit coals you're starting with, I would say go with around 1/2 a chimney at least, probably going to need more than that.

You could also try less sand in the pan, or no sand at all but less starting coals.

Leave the access door off for a little longer time. Check to make sure all vents, bottom and top, are open 100%. If this does not work, throw on a 1/2 to 4/4 chimney lit set of briquettes.

Ken

David,

More often than not I have to leave the access door slightly open to maintain in the mid 300's.

I use a notched log, and can adjust the door from 1/4" to about a full inch. The door needs to be upside down for me to do this.

Leaving the door off for a few minutes and then returning it just plays with the temp.

It's the constant amount of air flow that maintains a high temp cook (except for the sunny summer months). Try a door wedge of some sort.

Good luck.

For a high-heat cook, use a full chimney of lit coals. You can dump them on top of a full ring of unlit, or dump them in an empty charcoal ring and fill with unlit. Either way seems to work for me. All vents 100% open, and use an empty foiled water pan. If that doesn't get you over 300, then you can try lump and propping the door open, but mine runs anywhere from 325-365 with the door closed.

If you really want a high heat cook, try canting the lid just a bit so that it doesn't seal. That should take you to 400 or so with a full ring of lit Kingsford.

I've had trouble maintaining temps above 300 for long even with a dry pan and a ring full of burning lump. I've tried propping the door open with little success. If you want to raise the temp, offset the lid a little. This is the only thing that has reliably worked for me.

Back