High Temp Method for Brisket Flat

I just got a 7.5pound brisket flat at Sam's. I want to use the high temp method described on this site. Is there anything I should do with the flat to avoid tough and dry meat?

Tom

Yah, connect it back to the point. But really all I can say is don't trim prior to cooking. You can use all the fat for insulation and protection. The HH method has worked great for me. 2hr on/ 2hrs foiled 30 min on 30 min tented. should do it. Of course a good rub and I do worstishire sauce prior to the rub but others use mustard.

Good luck and cook till tender, don't worry about meat temp.

Mark

Last Sat we did a brisket using the high temp method as described in the forum. It was great. It cooked faster than described and we were done in 4 hours. No problem. We put the foiled brisket in an ice chest and covered it with towels. After about 2 hours we sliced it.
It was moist and tender. We all loved it and
this is the way we will cook brisket in the future.....tom

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I won't trim any fat---would it also be advisable to reduce the initial cook time (unfoiled) from 2hr to say 1.5hr?

Not having cooked much brisket before, I do sort of wonder why Sam's removed the point on ALL of their briskets---I would have thought that there were more than just one person in my area who BBQs brisket...

Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">would it also be advisable to reduce the initial cook time (unfoiled) from 2hr to say 1.5hr? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some go by color before foil and some say 160-170 temp then foil, which is what I do. 1 hour in the foil I would start checking for tender (on this small of a flat) then check every 20 till almost tender then collect the juice and go 15-20 or tender unfoiled to get some bark.

I went by temp and foiled at 170. I don't have enough experience to talk about reducing the cooking time. The final time was determined by tenderness as Glenn mentioned...tom

Hey

I followed the advice here and took temperature readings to bring the flat to ~170, then foiled and cooked for 2hr.

I placed it in a cooler with towels for 2hr...

THIS WAS SOOOOO EASY.....the brisket was really moist and tender---Hats off to this site for providing such great instructions.

Tom

Tom, congrats on a successful HH cook. Read the long post on HH cooks found by a search. You may find that tenting for 30-45 min after the meat is off the heat is all that you need. I like to put mine back on the heat after the 2 hrs (or till done) in foil, just to firm up the bark, woof.

Back