High Temp Brisket

Joel-- Yes, I certainly get something out of it or I wouldn't go through the trouble. If you are not getting desired flavors there are several things to look at.

I agree with paul that my effort is to enhance/complement the beef flavor rather than mask it in any way but this is relative, and it has a lot to do with what type of sauce I am serving alongside and what the sides are. There are times, depending on the rub and the variables just noted, that I want a foundational flavor profile at the finish (and I do nothing further) and times when I want more pronounced flavor(s). In the latter case I make more rub than I need for the first go and, as paul notes above as the trick for firming the bark, I remove the brisket when shy of done. At this point I apply more rub and return the brisket, unfoiled, to the smoker to finish. One has to determine which flavors will need boosting--sometimes it might be all and other times it might be just a few. In this case I make enough rub to go on pre-cook, then make another with just the elements that I know I'll want to highlight. I'd say it's trial and error but there really isn't much to worry about in the way of error--it's just trial, getting to know how to predict what the likely finish will be, getting to know what flavors are those that probably shouldn't be boosted (examples might be cardamom, celery, cumin, marjoram, and most of the sweet spices; and those that might be (such as the aromatics--garlic, onion, shallot); thyme, chile(s), ground peppercorns and so on. Nothing is carved in stone but caution should be taken with clove, nutmeg, sage, rosemary, and a few others. They should go into a booster rub in small quantities and be very finely ground so as to spread lightly well. One way to get a handle on it: trim a tiny piece off either end of the brisket when removing it from the foil and taste it. If you feel it necessary, have your booster rub already made and at hand, then apply. If not, the booster can be stored as the base for your next rub recipe.

Note, too: Most high heat briskets throw off a good quantity of liquid. Much of this I remove then de-fat. Some goes into whatever sauce I am making; some gets a bit of butter whisked into it (and a salt adjustment) and I use it to paint on the brisket slices for serving. This can spread the foundational profile very well. But if you are looking for more, try a booster approach, either by applying more of the same rub you started with or by using one with fewer but key elements--and do so after the foiling stage. You need not return the brisket for very long (unless, of course you wish to).

Dale-- Yes, that is what I am saying: go solely by feel.

The cooktemps don't really need to be all that accurate but they should fall into a low-to-mid 300s range. (I tend to go low 300s at the outset, mid-300s during foiling, whatever the temps happen to be if I unfoil and return the meat to the cooker.) The operative dynamic here is what occurs during the foiling stage, i.e., how the moisture in and around the meat responds to heat. If one is cooking at typical low/slow temps, and decides to foil at the commonly used foiling point (160-170), internal finish temp often correlates with the desired 'done' point. This is because sufficient cooking time has taken place (it was slow, after all, especially during the pre-foil stage; even though foiling might have shortened cook time some, at low-to-moderate cook temps cooking is still decidedly gentle).

When one cooks at high temps the dynamic is different: first, the cook time between start and foiling is much shorter; second, more moisture gets heated more quickly during the foiling stage. This second issue can translate into significantly higher internal meat temps rather soon after foiling--temps of 190, 200+ are not uncommon within 30 minutes of foiling. The meat is not done--sufficient time has not passed.

It is mostly a time issue that determines done. Temps might correlate with tender (during a low/slow cook)--but they do not cause tenderness. Time does.

One never sees a recipe for a stew or a braise (usual cooktemp: 300-350) that calls for an internal meat finish temp--it wouldn't work. The direction is to 'cook until tender'. Same here, and for the same reason. Though there can some difference between a, say, mid-level Select and a mid-level Choice, the big deal is thickness (not weight). After a few cooks it isn't hard to peg the probable finish time within a 20 minute window, based upon how the brisket looks and what happened in terms of the first stage of the cook (come-up time, cooktemp). Then, one simply tests a little earlier then predicted, re-wraps, and goes a bit longer--till tender is achieved, or near to being achieved.

Give it a shot and see what you think.

I hear you Randy. I recently have made some folks upset with my postings and that is not my intent. Perfection is what Im after. Im obsessed with making the best bbq I can, period.
This place is a great tool for any cook, competition or home cookers both. The stuff said on here, people pay $ for. Thats a fact.

We have been playing with this fast cooking method and it really can be great. What I have learned from people on this site, like Kevin is really appreciated.

On edit: I have to cook supper, the wife is getting my Son from wrestling practice and will be back soon. Penne paste and shrimp tonight. I see tht Kevin responded and I cant wait to read it better. Thanks Kevin.

Well we've sparked another great discussion, haven't we?

Just to clarify: my result was really good. There were 30 or more folks at the party and most of them sought me out to praise my efforts. Yes some of that was surely politeness but still I've done of enough of this to know that my 'product' is better than what most folks have experienced - thanks to the what I've learned here. You can see it in their faces when they taste it.

The learning curve will continue. Armed with experience and the suggestions from Kevin and others, I'm pretty sure my next brisket will be an improvement. Then the one after that...

Thanks all! Keep it coming.

Well the pasta was good.

That makes more sense to me Kevin. I read your last post 3 times, Im slow, but I think I get it. I agree that just because a piece of meat hits the target, that it isnt finished. I feel that it needs to ride in a certain temp zone for a period of time before things break down properly. Does that sound right?

Bingo. It's time. At high cooktemps, internals won't necessarily correlate with done, but a fork or probe sliding in smoothly is unmistakable.

I gotta agree with Kevin on this.

I'll check a brisket with the thermapen until it's time to foil.

After that it's ALL feel.

I'll probe check more frequently as the brisket renders' closer to done. It's foolproof.

Dale and Randy, Craig and Kevin are right . It's about the feel of the meat. I've done at least 6-8 briskets with high heat and after they are foiled don't use temps for a guide. Open the foil and stick a fork or something in to determine whether it's done or not. Forget temp. After you foil you just need to monitor the meat a little closer but I haven't had a bad one yet and I use Wally World meat.When done after foiling, I drain most of the juice out with a turkey baster and set aside.You can use it for sauce for the brisket or freeze it for other uses.Throw the meat back on the smoker to firm up for a little bit and Voila!!! Dale, this is simply the high temp version of what some cooks in comp do which is bring the meat to a certain temp then foil BUT they are cooking around 250-270 smoker temp.

Paul, we dont do that.
We cook at 204 for 22 hrs then glaze with a kraft/ketchup combo.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We cook at 204 for 22 hrs then glaze with a kraft/ketchup combo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ahh, Dale reveals his secret...
icon_smile.gif

Thanks Guys! That does make more sense now. I have not tried the high heat brisket yet at all and I guess the competition cook in me can't seem to catch on to this idea. I do understand the "feel" of the meat and that is something that can't really be taught we just have to learn as we go. Don't feel bad Dale I had to read 4 times to get it, my brain don't seem to function as fast as I can read!
icon_smile.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the secret Dale, you keep doing it that way at least at comps!
icon_biggrin.gif

I was wondering about foiling technique. Does it matter how tightly one wraps the foil? I wrapped mine tightly, fully against the meat. Rich mentioned that he puts his in a foil pan (I assume he then covers that tightly with foil)

Do you think it makes a difference as long as the foil is sealed?

I just now figured out what i missed. I got it.

Cant answer much about the foil. I dont use it very often with brisket. But when we do, we always wrap a tight seal.

I'm doing a high heat brisket cook right now, for the first time. It is about 10 degrees outside right now but I am able to hold 350 degrees at lid with a little help from my Stoker, just used foil balls and foil in the water pan.
I started about 2:00 kept the temp at 325. I foiled just a few minutes ago with internal temp about 150 and kicked the dome temp up to 370 hopefull it will be done around 7:00.
there didn't seem to be a lot of bark when I foiled still quite a lite color, and I used quite a bit of brown sugar in the rub. Smoking with Hickory and a little Cherry. I will let you all know how it comes out. As long as it's close to turning out like my low and slow briskets I will be happy, but I'm sure the bark won't be there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randy Hill:
I'm doing a high heat brisket cook right now, for the first time. It is about 10 degrees outside right now but I am able to hold 350 degrees at lid with a little help from my Stoker, just used foil balls and foil in the water pan.
I started about 2:00 kept the temp at 325. I foiled just a few minutes ago with internal temp about 150 and kicked the dome temp up to 370 hopefull it will be done around 7:00.
there didn't seem to be a lot of bark when I foiled still quite a lite color, and I used quite a bit of brown sugar in the rub. Smoking with Hickory and a little Cherry. I will let you all know how it comes out. As long as it's close to turning out like my low and slow briskets I will be happy, but I'm sure the bark won't be there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Update, just got done with dinner.
This was a 12# packer. Rubbed and on the WSM at 2:00. Straight on the rack, no foil or pan, 325 dome temp. Decided to smoke heavy since short cook time, used 4 fist size Hickory chunks and a handful of Cherry chips.
At 5:00 foiled and added 1 can Coke internal temp at 150 and kicked dome temp up to 370. Took off smoker at 7:30,a little resistance inserting probe internal temp 194, let rest in foil for 20min temp rose to 200, Slight resistance to probe a little more resistance than I usually have with low and slow at 195.
Opened up foil and got about a quart of juice.
Sliced, decent smoke ring, about 1/8/-3/16".
Brisket was nice and tender. Not fall apart but could easily pull slices apart, not chewy at all.
Meat was moist with good flavor. I don't think it had quite as much smoke flavor as low and slow but still smokey. I think the flavor of the rub flavor seemed to be more intense, not in a bad way. I like a bit of heat in my rub and with low and slow spicy heat is normally not there which is ok with the wife. But there was some heat left on this cook which I thought was great but wife trimmed what little bark there was off on her pieces.
Not much bark but flavorful exterior.
My impression with High Heat cook, I think it came out great. If time was not an issue I would probably go with low, but would not hesitate to serve this to friends and family.
Will I cook this way again? Absolutely

Randy, welcome to the high heat club
icon_biggrin.gif
I suggested in an earlier post if you want to firm the bark up take it out of the foil earlier and put back on the smoker

Back