High temp brisket question

Originally posted by Craig C:
You got me ready to try this. I never thought i'd do anything but low and slow.
Craig, I'll say this. If you get the HH brisket right on your first cook. It will be hard to go back and cook one low and slow. They are that good IMO. I'll do a hybrid brisket cook from time to time. I'll start out low, and then once foiled, crank up the heat and finish it high heat. They come out pretty good, with more bark, but not as moist as a pure HH brisket cook. Packers are so easy to get right when doing then HH. If you are doing flats, they are more of a challenge to judge them at the right time to foil. But practice makes perfect.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Craig C:
You got me ready to try this. I never thought i'd do anything but low and slow.

Like Bryan said, once you cook one this way, it's hard to imagine going back. I started doing HH about a year ago, and I've cooked more brisket in that year than I did in 5 years prior.

Brisket is almost too easy with TexasBBQ rub, No. 5 sauce, and predictable HH cooks.

I've been coming around this site and lurking for a while since I googled High Heat Brisket. I don't own a WSM but I do cook on UDS and today I figured I had time and some extra money so why not?

I picked up a 14.5lb packer brisky and brought her in to work (I'm lucky, I can cook on ocassion while at work, so I brought in one of my several UDS smokers from home) prepped her up nice with some Fatboy rub and dropped her on the UDS at around 8:10 this morning. Went down and foiled around 10:35. Will start checking for probe tender around 11:30ish or so. My only concern is that I had a slow start to get to my target temp of 350 but once there, had no problems. Hope it all turns out well. Great site ya'll have and someday, i'll own a WSM too!

Either way works. I usually open the foil and go straight down. It's easiest as there are usually a few cups of exuded juices around the meat. Just be careful not to puncture the foil below.

I am not one for sticking a probe all over. When the center of the flat is tender I remove the meat.

Good to know, I've been following your and Craig's posts on HH Brisky for a while and finally got the nerve (and the money) to try it in my UDS. I'm assuming several things are similar between the two cooking devices so I'm hoping to turn out really good product in the end.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Just be careful not to puncture the foil below.
Ha! I tried the HH Brisket last weekend and did just this. There was a mad scramble to get it re-wrapped before losing all the liquid.

OMG, a full 14.5lb packer brisket done in 3 hours and 45 minutes!!! It was moist, juicy and the most tender brisket anyone's ate to date (I as the cook didin't get but maybe a sliver or two of it). It went, ALL of it, in under 10 minutes!!!

RECAP:
Started the UDS at 8am and immediately laid packer brisket already seasoned with Fatboy rub onto the grate. Left the lid off until the internal temp hit 200 (started with 15 ashed over Kingsford Original coals). Put the lid on and waited until the temp hit 350 on the dial therm, locked it in and walked away. Came back at 10:30 and foiled using a layer on the top and on the bottom crimping the edges and folding them over twice to retain exuded liquids (about 2.5 cups is what I ended up with). Put it back in the UDS and walked away. Came back at 11:30 and poked a hole in the top of the foil and used a Meat Therm to both Temp and test for tenderness. NOT paying attention to the temp, the probe slide in to the top of the flat about 1/4 inch with minor resistance. Put the lid back on and let it sit for another 10 minutes or so (internal temp when I glanced at the temp probe was 190+ as my therm that i was using only goes to 190). Smoked a cig and pulled off the UDS at 11:45, took the whole grate on top of a food tray right up to the kitchen. Let it rest for 15 minutes then unwrapped one end of the foil and drained the juices. Started cutting into it and it literally fell away like butter, and the knife wasn't as sharp as I wanted thinking I would need to have it sharper! Cut it all the way through the point and it WENT FAST. I literally had people standing in line just eatting and handing back an empty plate for more.

Conclusion:
This being the first time i've done a high heat brisket in the UDS, this ROCKED, period! Further testiment that slow and low isn't the only way to go when you have a time line you're trying to adhere to. Sure beats long overnight cooks!

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Bravo!

Credit goes to you, craig and everyone else who has posted their own steps on "how-to" HH brisky, i'm merely the next vessel in which your information has been transcribed on (a VERY popular vessel right now too!) Thanks so much for all the knowledge sharing. It really made doing a high heat packer brisky fool proof.

Maybe next i'll convert from a UDS to the WSM.

Another convert!

Well done......it's "almost" foolproof.

In fact it has become my tailgate tradition at football games. While everyone else is doing burgers and brats, they get to smell my HH brisket.

Have to fight em off when they find out what I am cooking. And it's cheaper than burgers, dogs too.

Ok, so it's been a while, going to do two heavy weight brisket flats tomorrow and was wondering if there would be if any modifications due to time and temp if I wanted to approach them using the high heat method. One weighs in at 9.25lbs and the other is 7.65lbs. Thoughts or suggestions?

I don't temp briskets (I only cook packers) at all, but in the case of flats it could be worth it - for the pre-foiling stage only. If thick and not overtrimmed take them to 160 or so, a bit higher is fine, before foiling. If thin or too trimmed foil a few degrees lower.

Other than that, cook as you did above. Let us know how it goes!

Well the post made me go ahead and try it....

Major success. Did it on my 22.5 WSM it was done around 4 hours. Great smoke ring / flavor and bark was nice too.

When low and slowing it I do 2/3 pork butts over the brisket. Usually some hot links and finsih Barbies beans in it too.

Sunday I did the hh brisket in the WSM.

On my Performer I did ABT's and a couple of fatties. Threw Barbies beans in there too. And peach cobbler went on once we were eating.

What other things are you doing in the WSM during the HH cook?

My other choice is to do 2 briskets next time. It was perfect to "sneak" in a smoke for the weekend. Thanks for the great input on the topic / site.

Reviving this thread to say thanks to everyone who contributed. I was planning to do my first brisket today using the old low 'n slow 12-14 hour cook until I did some research and came across this thread. I'll try to recount my experience so maybe someone else can try this with confidence ('cause I did some things different, and not on purpose).

Started yesterday by doing a light trim on a 9 lb packer. Rubbed with a little veg oil and with my beef rub concoction. Started getting the grill ready today at about 11:30 am. Filled my ring with K and put 30 coals in my chimney. Lined my pan with foil (no water). When the chimney was ready I added it the ring along with a nice size chunk of apple wood. Assembled the smoker and put the brisket on. I stuck a probe in the meat and let my grill probe dangle just inside the lid vent. All vents wide open. Here is the chronology of my cook:

12:05 Brisket on. 155/50 (smoker temp, meat temp)
12:20 236/54
12:35 283/63
12:50 327/73
1:05 315/82 Before this reading the smoker temp got up to 335 so I closed 1 vent and closed another vent half way.
1:20 316/90. Opened the vent that was half open to 3/4 open.
1:35 328/99 Opened the 3/4 vent all the way.
1:50 333/110
2:05 330/120
2:20 327/131
2:35 321/143 Opened the vent that was closed all the way.
2:50 325/151
3:05 328/159
3:20 321/164 At this point I foiled the brisket and removed the temp probe. Left a little room in the foil. Didn't add any liquid.
3:35 323
3:50 290 I added fuel before this reading but I couldn't keep the temp up.
4:05 290
4:20 290
4:35 289 Checked for tenderness. Opened the foil and released a ton of steam. The smell was incredible! Temp probe slid in and shot up to 190. Looked done to me so I took it off and brought it inside to rest with the foil still on.

The reason I think the cook took longer than some other HH cooks is that my temp was lower. The probe I had just inside the lid was reading about 20-30 degrees higher than the built-in gauge. I couldn't really get the temps to rise but since the meat temp was going up consistently I wasn't worried. I was a little concerned that after I foiled the temp was way lower than I wanted but it still came out great.

While the brisket was resting I made the #5 sauce. Pulled some liquid out of the foil to add to the sauce (used a fat separator). Sauce was awesome! After resting 45 minutes I sliced and we made some sammies on hot cheddar rolls. Outstanding! The meat was juicy and there was a nice smoke ring. It came out great so thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread. I couldn't have done it without you.

Lets see if I can get some pics up:

DSC_0662-250x166.jpg

DSC_0663-250x166.jpg

DSC_0664-250x166.jpg

Sorry if this is a dead thread but is this "THE" High Heat brisket thread that I need to read through to try the method?

If not, please direct me to that thread so I can read the actual method! I haven't gathered much info other than just cook the brisket at 300-350* and probe for doneness.

Thanks

Back