High Temp Brisket - Kettle - 2/16/08

Whoops. Sorry. Didn't see this. All this talk (and your original pic) of briakets and Kobe beef (another thread) today and I decided I have to find a fine dining establishment...

I do not foil by temp (I know others do); I foil somewhere between the 2- and the 2.5-hour mark. I do not temp high heat briskets at all--not for foiling nor for finish.

So--how is/was it?

We posted at the same time. My post above referenced your post above your last one.

Anyway--how was it?

It was much better than my first attempt.

The cook was 6 hours from the time I placed the meat on the kettle to the time I took the picture with the flat halved. As you said I shouldnt have focused so much on the temp as the time. I probably could have cut an hour or so by foiling at the 2.5 hour mark instead of the 4.5 hour mark. One issue I also think differs with the Kettle and WSM is the difference in grate and lid temp.

Much more moisture in the meat... I still think I pulled it too early... Im always worried about cooking it too much while it is on, followed by thinking it could have used an extra 20-30 minutes once I start cutting it.

I understand that it would be near impossible to cook the entire packer evenly. There were a few pieces in the middle that were perfect while the end pieces seemed a little overcooked while the pieces closer to the point could have used more time.

I removed the fat from the top of the point and wrapped it whole so I can chop it tomorrow.

I think one of the aspects I need to focus on is slicing the flat. The thicker the slice, the more chew that is required.

Next weekend is pork butt and ribs... A few family members heard of the kettle cooking and are eager to eat some.

Good that you got some knowledge from the cook.

Not being there and not actually tasting...my impressions from you report (if you'll indulge me):

"I still think I pulled it too early..."

and

"The thicker the slice, the more chew that is required."

I'd likely agree: Perhaps too early. Imo, though, this has to do with the foiling delay. If you wish, try next time to foil around the 2.25-hour mark or so. Don't bother temping--just foil. Provided your cook temps next time are close to the same temps as you cooked this time there will be no issue there.

Even cooking is more likely to be achieved--as well--by foiling earlier than you did. No big deal--just saying. You could do the same thing as I mentioned above--tuck some foil under the thin end of the roast. Though it didn't look like (in your pic) the end was receiving much direct heat it is certainly possible. The extended unfoiled time was likely a factor.

Regardless, it seems to me like you got much closer to what you are looking for--and that's the name of the game. And, further, your meal looked great.

Thanks Kevin... The meal was great.

I would like to go to one of the local BBQ places around here and try their sliced brisket to see how it compares to what has been coming off of the kettle. Being in central Indiana I dont think I would find much better.

Some of the pictures I see here, on BBQ blogs, etc are very impressive.

I need to accept that some of these people have been making BBQ for decades whereas this was my second brisket.

Stepping back and looking at it all Im actually impressed with what $15, preparation, patience, and a kettle can produce.

Back