high heat ribs

If you put them on when you assemble the smoker with minion method and get to your target temp within 30 min you should be looking at 3hrs give or take 30min. FOTB more like 3.5

Invest in the mighty toothpick!

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Thanks guys. But what I'm really after is a guide for how much time in the racks, how much time in the foil and how much time back on the grates...

I put them on when I assemble the cooker and the smoke till nicely colored. I don't really cook by time but this usually comes in at around 90 minutes. If i am foiling I then foil with a little juice reduction and cook till tender while in the foil. This is usually 40-45 minutes but I have had them hit tender in as little as 30, or as much as 50-55. It depends on how long they cooked before foiling.

Since the ribs are now done, only a few minutes are needed unfoiled, to firm the surface texture.

Kevin,

Thanks...that's what I'm looking for.

I was guessing to foil when the meat had pulled back about half an inch?

How do you tell if they are tender when they are in foil?

Do you mop them when you finish?

No, I do not mop. Nor do I sauce as I cannot abide ribs sauced during cooking. Feel free to do either if you prefer though. I do sometimes make a glaze and apply it in a very thin veneer after the ribs are out of the foil for a couple minutes.

I go by color if I am foiling. When the ribs reach the rich color I seek I foil.

One can simply open the foil after a time and insert a probe between the bones. If there's resistance, recrimp the foil and continue to cook, checking again a little later (lots of resistance, check in 15 or so; a little, check in 5-10).
Here's a sample cook.

Back