high heat ribs convert

Troy B

Howdy,

I have been trying to duplicate a style of rib barbeque that I saw on a recent BBQ Pitmasters. A couple teams were cooking ribs (baby back I think) at a temp around 290. They foiled after maybe 2 hours with quite a few sweet additives and some liquid. They continued to cook foiled for maybe another hour. They took off the foil and finished with BBQ sauce for maybe another half hour. The whole cook was done at the relatively high 290.

I have now done this method 3 time with baby backs and once with st louis style ribs (added maybe an hour spread out over being naked and foiled). I will stick with this method going forward.

Even though other people have liked my traditional ribs (225 degrees and no foil) over the years, I never really liked the overly smokey and dry flavor. The high heat method and the foil with the sweet actually kept it very moist but not too "pull away from the bone". I was able to balance the sweet from the process with the rub and the sauce that I used.

It was great to see that BBQ Pitmasters was back and improved. Usually, you can't duplicate a competition process as well from most BBQ shows.

Troy

I do ribs on my kettle all the time at 325 without foiling. I like the fact that I can decide at 2pm that I want to have ribs for dinner and still have time to get em done. I'm not real good at advance planning.

I use high heat on ribs myself 275-300. Ribs are done in 3-3.5hrs. Cooking ribs low and slow just doesn't add enough to justify cooking for 5-6hrs.

As far as foil is concerned, It's one of those things that isn't right or wrong. I foil because I like the end product better. It is one of those things you just have to try both ways and decide what works for you.

I do them at 327-375. I foil often, if I wish to add flavor additions. (Those tend to be reduced fruit juices and/or stock reductions.) Foiling alters the cooking dynamics considerably, offering much more efficient heat transfer - which means more even cooking - and, of course, thwarting evaporation.

Thanks Kevin and all,

would you say that there is a minimum amount of time exposed to smoke that is necesssary for the smoke to penetrate ribs?

Originally posted by Jeff Brown (KY):
I use high heat on ribs myself 275-300. Ribs are done in 3-3.5hrs. Cooking ribs low and slow just doesn't add enough to justify cooking for 5-6hrs.

As far as foil is concerned, It's one of those things that isn't right or wrong. I foil because I like the end product better. It is one of those things you just have to try both ways and decide what works for you.

I do the same thing but don't foil.

would you say that there is a minimum amount of time exposed to smoke that is necesssary for the smoke to penetrate ribs?
Smoke does not penetrate, despite what you've read on numerous forums, I'm sure. Particulates stick to the meat.

That said, the amount of time necessary for the meat to pick up smoke flavor depends on how much smoke you're generating, the type of wood, the meat's surface condition, etc.

I do not use much wood - about the equivalent of 1.5 fist-sized chunks cut into about small pieces 7-9. Never had a problem with lack of smoke flavor. I usually use hickory for ribs.

Our "high heat" method is to use the rotisserie attachment. We do baby backs for about an hour and 15 minutes. The only drawback is that you can only do 1-2 racks at a time. However, this works out well for a family dinner or small gathering.

I use a little bit of wood, usually hickory, but I've also used apple wood.

We use the rotisserie quite a bit for the convenience and time-saving aspect, and there's not a whole lot of difference in taste. I'd say the ribs done on the WSM are more tender and smokier, but both methods have been "hits" with friends and family.

Steve
18.5 WSM/22.5 OTG (w/rotisserie & smokenator)

Back