High heat paint on frame?

You could always use TSP if you can find it. It wont strip paint but is a great cleaner/prep. Surely it wont be available in California though.

You could always use TSP if you can find it. It wont strip paint but is a great cleaner/prep. Surely it wont be available in California though.
Ha! Looks like it’s at the local Home Depot.

But I’m starting to collect a number of cleaning products, and it’s becoming increasingly hazy to me as to what each are best at.

But I’m starting to collect a number of cleaning products, and it’s becoming increasingly hazy to me as to what each are best at.
Stop sniffing the cleaning products!

Make sure it is REAL TSP, not substitute tsp. SUNNYSIDE was the brand I have

I have a box from many years ago. Use rubber gloves...that stuff will definitely take the starch out of your shorts (and the oil out of your skin).

ya see.....I just dont wanna have to use products that are that harsh if I dont have to.......If it has been banned in a few states then it is banned in my garage.....I mean I can barely handle the rattle cans when I am outside with a breeze

Hard to do when I don’t know the difference
This is the real stuff. The other stuff doesn't have Phosphate.
This is the modified stuff

Just a disclaimer here. Phosphate was declared a pollutant about 50 or 60 years ago. Until then almost every laundry soap and most other soaps contained phosphate. It is a great cleaning agent. But it is also a key ingredient in fertilizer and what was happening was that all that phosphate was being pushed through the sewer systems and eventually made its way into lakes and streams creating algea blooms and excessive weed growth. So they pretty much banned its use. Painters also widely used it for prepping for painting. If you use it for cleaning grill frames and other pieces, a little of it in your yard is no big deal. Might make your grass greener even. But the problem is it was being used extensively and all the waste water was either winding up in the storm drains or sewer system and eventually the lakes and rivers.

Here is a clip from the internet explaining the incorporation of Phosphate into fertilizers:
"All fertilizer products must provide some uniform information to help consumers compare products easily. Every label carries three conspicuous numbers, usually right above or below the product name. These three numbers form what is called the fertilizer's N-P-K ratio — the proportion of three plant nutrients in order: nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P) and potassium (K)."

Last edited:

Back