High heat - how to get up to temp

Mike Graef

TVWBB Member
I am thinking about a packer brisket the weekend and trying for high heat. Any tips for getting to the proper fire temps would be appreciated, I have always struggled with raising temps when doing a minion which I always do, but I usually go low and slow so it has never mattered.

I am also at 5280 feet so I am not sure how this will affect things?

Thanks,

I would be more inclined to go with the standard method as well but Lonnie Mac did this awesome mod last week and several people have tried it with excellent results. Take a look.

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

The esiest way for me is to just leave the lid a skew by about a 1/4" - 1/2". WSM comes up tp temp faster this way than with the door open, IMO
icon_wink.gif

im a little late but my elev. is 6300 and no problems at all, you'll be fine. good luck. I prop door open for a bit as well. I will be trying bryan's idea next time now so you may give that a shot. proping the door with my homemade/found stick isn't all that grand
icon_smile.gif
. good luck if im not to late

I'm in the Denver metro area (Aurora), and at first had trouble getting up to temps. I started using a clay pot base, and minion method and also will sprinkle 8-16 lit coals around on top of my charcoal arrangement, (cann't remember if this is truely MM or not). I don't have too much of a problem anymore...At times, I've dabbled with using lump charcoal in addition to kingsford (my primarily cook fuel), and have actually had to work at lowering my low and slow cook temps. I'ld say try using a lump coal, like Rancher's(available at Home Depot I beleive) that will typically burn hotter than kingsford, and use it along with either 1) cracking the door open a bit, like Brian was suggesting, OR 2) the modification that was posted by Lonnie was sounding pretty interesting to me. The combo should work for you too in reaching/maintaining temps above 300 degrees

Back