High heat disaster?

So, I throw a 12 lb packer over high heat, 2 1/2 hours in I go to seperate the flat and point. I follow the seam of fat and try to bend it back--I end up running almost the whole length of the flat.

I think I split the flat in half....

I have no idea at this point what is what....

I haven't seen that seam run the whole length, and I thought the flat was far thicker, so I might have just carved my brisket in two on the horizontal...

SO, I hacked off the chunk I THOUGHT was the point meat, and I have foiled everything else and am runnin it at 348, shooting for 375.

I am going to start checking for tender in about an hour. I want to take it off a bit early to firm up the bark.

If I haven't ruined the whole thing.

GRRRRR!

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I think I can save it, or at least I like to hope so...

All is not lost. Just continue as planned, cook till tender, and eat the darn thing. Enjoy the fruits of your labor. It will likely turn out perfectly fine. Of course, if you post then it's manditory that you post pictures
icon_smile.gif

I wouldn't worry either.

As an aside, I'm not sure I get the rational behind splitting early. Though I nearly never split at all, it is much easier to do so after the flat is done. The point is going to go back on anyway. Why bother doing it sooner? Why interrupt the cook for any longer than necessary to foil the packer in the first place?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Why bother doing it sooner? Why interrupt the cook for any longer than necessary to foil the packer in the first place? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do it to get some bark on the bald spot where the point over-lapped ontop of the flat. Not needed, just makes for better presentation for the briskets I take to work for my crew.
icon_wink.gif
If doing them for myself, I do not worry about it.
icon_smile.gif

Not a disaster.

I think the reasoning behind removing the point is to get more surface area of the flat exposed.

IMO, that isn't necessary.

Well, it was not a disaster.

It was one of the most juicy, tender, and delicious brisket I have ever done.

It appears that it was in fact the fat seam that ran almost the length of the flat.

Sure enough, when it was all said and done, that was the seam that the point came off with.

Pictures link.

It was an interesting trip and I think I now know better how this high heat thing works. It sometimes takes something going horribly 'wrong' to help you get your head around a technique.

I ended up with about two cups of juice, with more than 4 meals of brisket, and some REALLY good flavor. Bark was not exactly the best, but I didn't expect it to be....so I will play witht he bark when I have the tender and juicy thing done pat...

The end product was great...Thank you to all for your input, and thank you to the High Heat crew for all of the insight and instruction!!!

Sounds good--but I am not getting the pic link to work on two different browsers. Methinks the atmark is an issue...?

I double checked and IE 6 and 7 lets me see them.

The like I used had the @ sign in it...

But if you get to FLICKR, just search for pictures by user 'Odirom' and you will find them.

Back