High Heat Cooking???

Looks like I managed to fry my new maverick high heat probe as well. From what I can tell, it's supposed to be able to hand 700F and it died around 550F. Sent an email to Maverick customer service to see they'll replace it.

I've been using what is billed as a Maverick "hybrid probe" from Amazon. They are straight like a pit probe but pointed like a meat probe, they have noticeably thicker braided leads, are a bit bigger around than a regular probe, and are rated up to 716 degrees. Funny thing is I don't see anything like it on the Maverick site?

At any rate, I can verify they are good for their rated temperature cause I pulled one out of the grill at about 700 degrees the other day and it is still working perfectly. The only negative(s) is the tips are a bit long so you must make sure back them out of the jack a bit otherwise they wont register, and they are 732 type probes and the braided wire is not grounded so they don't register on the HM unless you ground the braid somehow. You can solder a wire from the braid to the shield of the plug if you want to fix this, I usually just clip the braid of this probe to the braid of another (72 model) probe that is grounded....

I'm still waiting on the high temp thermistor from Vishay, I guess there is some production issue as Mouser says it will be quite a while before they expect stock....

I'm still waiting on the high temp thermistor from Vishay, I guess there is some production issue as Mouser says it will be quite a while before they expect stock....

Did you ever find another source for that thermistor? Or did you opt to go in another direction? I checked a few other Vishay distributors, but none of them even carry that gem you found:_(

I'de much rather use a thermistor than a thermocouple. I'de probably just use it as my full time pit probe. Finding a cable that can handle those temps looms expensive, I have yet to find anything less than a 25 foot spool @ $85

What I have gathered is the super high heat thermistor is kind of a new thing, Vishay makes ONE and they are the only company. Well, I found another company in the orient that posted some datasheet about their high heat thermistor but I can t find anywhere that would sell it. Mouser has a super long lead time for arrival of the Vishay part, that is why I contacted Vishay direct. I was excited when the reply seemed to indicate they would send me one a sample for my project, but as time passed and it didn't arrive I started to realize even Vishay doesn't have any of them. I guess it must be something with production, either they are having a problem producing them or they are lacking the opening in a facility to produce this product until a later date. I think Mouser had the end of Sept listed as the expected delivery date. Unfortunately I think we are going to have to wait until then, but I really want one badly to test out in my FauxMado....

I'm glad you posted and I replied last night, cause today the thermistor sample from Vishay was delivered.... It seems stuff never happens until you give up hope!

So I have it here in hand now, first surprise is that it is TINY, much smaller than the blue thermistor that is used to measure ambient temperature. I'm having a hard time figuring a reference for the size cause it is so small, perhaps one single candy sprinkle like they put on ice cream or cookies, maybe even smaller.

The size is going to make it tougher to work with than I expected, but should make permanent integration with the grill easier if it works out. Hopefully I will be able to get it wired up and do some testing to try and figure out the parameters for it.

I guess there is still a production back log, cause mouser is expecting only a few in at the end of Sept, and then more in Oct, but only a few at a time (numbers in the teens)

If it plays well with the HM this will be pretty sweet, its rated for long term durability at 900 degrees Celsius, that's over 1600 degrees Fahrenheit.... WOW! I guess we don't have to worry about over heating this component during soldering! LOL

Last edited:
That sounds like the size of the thermistor that I pulled out of my fried ET73 high-heat probe. I'm going to make my own franken-probe with the the vishay thermistor inside of the metal tube from the ET73 probe.

Since my FauxMado grill is made of a double steel shell with insulation in between I was thinking of just drilling a pin hole through and poking the thermistor right into the pit. The datasheet for this thermistor says it is chemical and heat resistant so it should be ready to deal with harsh conditions without the probe shell I would think. As Bryan pointed out, once you have a thermistor that can handle this kind of heat your next problem is the leads, how do you get a wire into that probe that can handle the same extreme temperatures? I figure if just the thermistor bulb pokes through the hole on the inner shell and I use bare wire running from the thermistor through a plug of some sort on the outer shell, then the lead wire will be completely outside of the pit and I wont have to worry about matching the wire temp rating to the thermistors.

Another idea I had was to poke bare wire through a piece of nomex which sits on the lip of my pit (between the lid and pit) and then connect the lead wire on the outside of the pit. This should work for the BGE and any pit you can't drill a pin hole in for the thermistor. I am still on the fence on drilling the hole, I would prefer not to alter the Fauxmado if possible, so I might start out my experiments with the nomex strip method and go from there....

I guess some sort of ceramic insulator would be a way to go as well, but I don't know (and haven't researched yet) where I would source something like that....

I guess 800 degrees is half way there.... Still might melt if exposed to certain areas of the grill during pizza cooks though. For right now I am gonna use a braided lead wire from a dead Maverick probe and be mindful how much heat I expose it to. If it works out well I want to install it permanently into my FauxMado in a manner where it (and the lead wire) can survive a raging fire in the pit. So I think the wire is either going to have to be outside of the grill completely or made of some bare metal or wire with some sort of ceramic insulator...

What about putting it in a thermowell and then using thermocouple wire? Then, depending on how hot the outside of your grill gets at it's peak, you might even be able to put some waterproofing sealant and make it weather-resistant.

I like the "U" style mount that Kamado Joe is coming up with for their upcoming system. In fact, you could easily do this with any thin sheet metal and use the metal as the conductor and attach the wires to the metal on the outside of the grill, keeping the wire temps down.

WuBdvLJ.jpg

The problem is thermocouples are NOT supported with the HM....

This thermistor is rated at over 1600 degrees for extended usage, that's perfect for the application, and I have no shortage of ideas to to connect it and accomplish my goal. However, if thermocouples were supported with the HM I would probably be looking in that direction...

Yah, what you have shown there on the Kamado Joe setup is along the lines of one of my ideas to mount the thermistor.... but with my FauxMado being made of double shells of steel I do have an option to drill a hole in the hood and mount it that way instead, like they mount the built in thermometer on the front, but my thermistor will be in the back. On an expensive ceramic cooker I dont think drilling a hole, not matter how tiny, is something you would want to do...

I will likely start out with something similar to the Kamado Joe setup for testing, if it works out I will probably end up drilling the hole and mounting the thermistor directly in the hood....

While thermocouple support would be nice, they are pretty finicky about your wiring, etc.

I was thinking of using the thermocouple wire to connect your thermistor. It's a nice, very high temp wire. Then a mechanical joint and insulate with something like
this tape. then plop the whole thing in a thermowell, and install that permanently on the grill.

job

I just cut the lead of a dead Maverick 732 probe, it does indeed have two leads inside it (where other Maverick probes only have one lead and use the metal braid as the other), so this will work perfectly for right now. The probe it came from was rated at 716 degrees, and this braided lead is much thicker than other Maverick probes (72/73).

Right now all I need to do is find a solution for the mechanical connection and I will be set to test. The thing is, the thermistor is VERY SMALL, and the leads are really short too... I would have preferred if the thermistor had an inch or two of wire on it, but the legs are only about 3mm long and tiny...

I'm not too worried about the insulation (tape etc) on the leads for right now, cause the worst thing that will happen if they short out is you will get no reading from it. As soon as I have it mounted on the lead I will post a picture, I want to wait so you will get some perspective of how small it is when you see it on the end of the braided wire.....

You can use thermocouple wire though and just hook it up to your thermistor. I thought that the 700F wouldn't work for the hi-heat you wanted to do?

dave

This thermistor is rated at over 1600 degrees for extended usage, that's perfect for the application, and I have no shortage of ideas to to connect it and accomplish my goal. However, if thermocouples were supported with the HM I would probably be looking in that direction...

Well, I think its game over before it began....

As careful as I tried to be, I could barely hold the thing because it is so small. It slipped from my hand and I heard one bounce and my guess is I will never see that thing again. I will look, but I am not very hopeful....

I'm curious to see how well this holds up, seeing as solder melts at around 400F. I wonder what will happen to the connection during sustained high heat.

No, just pop something on the grill, and we'll all be over shortly to help look, right? Nothing lost that a little smoky meat won't find...

Back