High Heat Brisket Point Flat Seperation

Ryan Kelley

TVWBB Member
I'm trying my first high heat brisket tomorrow. My plan is to slice the flat and make burnt ends with the point. When is the best time to seperate the two? Immediately after pulling, after resting, prior to cooking or other?

I've read that the point/flat can finish at seperate times. Wouldn't it be easier just to seperate prior to cooking? This doesn't seem to be the preferred method. Why?

Ryan, sounds like last weekend for me.

I'm pretty new myself but I'll take a stab, and I'm sure later we will have the pros correct me.

On my cook, I cooked together till about 160, separated, foiled the flat, and threw the point on the bottom rack until the flat was tender. when I took off the flat to rest, I then cubed the point, drizzled with rub and put on the top grate to cook about another hour.

I drained some of the liquifat(nice stuff) that was in the tray sauced it, and a bit more rub(not much) and returned to the top grate for 20 min(I didn't want to burn the sauce).
Ends

I got the impression to leave the packer hole was to hopefully keep the flat moister. The point did take longer though, but my timing was pretty good. It was actually pretty easy to separate at that point as well, by picking it up and just running the knife down the fat separation, the point just fell from the flat.

Good luck with your cook, and I look forward to how hear what others suggest.

Bryan,

Thanks for the links. Theres a lot of info on this site and sometimes it's hard to sort through it all.

So what is your current preferred method? Slow/low to 135 then seperate and crank the heat up? All high heat? Or some other variation?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So what is your current preferred method? Slow/low to 135 then seperate and crank the heat up? All high heat? Or some other variation? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I like to do low to 135º internal of flat and then seperate. That way I can put some rub on the bald spot of the flat and place that side down towards the coals to get some bark on it before foiling at 165º. This is all based on how much time you have to cook though. If pressed for time I just high heat it to 160-165 flat internal temp and seperate then. Most times I have plenty of time so yes my prefered method is low first to get good bark, then high once foiled.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
I like to do low to 135º internal of flat and then seperate. That way I can put some rub on the bald spot of the flat and place that side down towards the coals to get some bark on it before foiling at 165º. This is all based on how much time you have to cook though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any guidelines on how long this method takes for a 12-14 lb packer?

From what I've read all high heat should take around 4-5 hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any guidelines on how long this method takes for a 12-14 lb packer?

From what I've read all high heat should take around 4-5 hours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep if doing all high heat 4-5 hrs. The low then high is around 8 hrs.
Ryan, I said this before... I would have no problem coming down some weekend and doing a packer cook with you. If I can get lump tomorrow down in MD, if so how many do you want? It's 20 lb bags. Email me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Ryan, I said this before... I would have no problem coming down some weekend and doing a packer cook with you. If I can get lump tomorrow down in MD, if so how many do you want? It's 20 lb bags. Email me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Bryan for the offer. This is my third brisket and the first two low/slow came out very good so I have good level of confidence.

I'm having a PSU reunion for the game tomorrow and was just looking for time estimates to get the brisket resting when the game starts and ready to slice at 1/2 time. I'll probably just go all high so I don't have get up when it's still dark out.

We definitely have to get together some time since there seems to be quite a few of us who live in this region. Any news regarding the SE PA, MD, DE get together? Link

If you get lump in MD, just let me know exactly where you get it. I'm always looking for an excuse to get down to the Conowingo/Port Deposit area for dinner. Although the Susq. Inn alwasy seems to be out of the pit beef when I'm there.

PICTURES

I don't do high heat but, here's a recent picture where I separated the flat from the point per Bryan's instructions/help. The pictures are labeled, just imagine flipping that point over back on top of the flat and you can see where to start the cut. As far as temps; I did that one at 165 and wish I would have done it sooner so I could have thrown her back on the WSM which at low heat 225 I think would have worked out very well due to the additional time she would have been on there (primarily flat).

Something that Bryan left out that I should warn you about, remove the point from the flat in some kind of a dish or have a setup where you can catch the juices as you could have an eruption of juices when you cut into that thing.

Quote:

Ryan, I said this before... I would have no problem coming down some weekend and doing a packer cook with you.

Hey Bryan-How would you feel about coming out to California?
icon_biggrin.gif

Steve, I don't know if we have enough cold beer in the Central Valley to have Bryan come out (with Ed C. and I in the valley already), LOL!!! Actually I know Ed C and I would love to see Bryan out this way sometime, I'd love to do a WAGYU tri for him . . . although it might kill me taking one past med. . . . just kidding of course.

If this pic on your site wasn't labelled, I'd guess it was something entirely different (like what was floating in the pool in Caddy Shack). LOL

ShawnBday056.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
Hey Bryan-How would you feel about coming out to California?
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm working on that. Hopefully this winter or next spring. Mom and Dad live in Lake Havasu City AZ. I want to fly into LAX and rent a Bike from Eagle river rentals? I think that's the name and ride up to Lompoc where I was born. I want to see waht it's like there. We moved when I was 1, and Dad left the Air Force. He was stationed at Vandenburg<sp? during the Cuban Missle crisis. Then up to see Larry and ED C, then across Calif to stay with Mom and Dad for a few days. Haven't been to their house in AZ yet since they moved away from here. Just saw them for the first time in May in 4 years. I'll let you know what the plan is. Need to take care of/get rid of a few personals issues here first in PA.
icon_wink.gif

P.S. I asked where the nearest in and out burger was. They said right down the road. I'm so all over that 20x20 that Chris posted years ago.
icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT: This pic.
20x20.jpg

Back