High heat brisket on a gas grill???

Dennis Lubertozzi

TVWBB Member
I have my son's 1st birthday party coming up this weekend and we have a pretty big crowd coming and I am planning on smoking 4 pork shoulders in my 22" WSM and I had been planning on smoking two briskets at high heat in my 18" WSM. With everything else I have to do to get ready for the party I started wondering if I could do a high heat brisket on a gas grill with wood chips in a smoker box. I've never smoked on my grill before, but I would assume a traditional "low and slow" smoke would be not too different. Just not sure about a high heat approach.

Anyone ever done this? Any thoughts?

Only thing I can add is with the gas grill you can't really control air flow so wood chips will flare up eventually even if soaked in water. You may be able to get chunks to smolder and not flare up.

Having never tried using my gasser I can't answer the question, but another approach would be to do the pork shoulders on the WSM18 using 2 shoulders on the bottom rack and 2 on the upper rack. That leaves the WSM22 free for a brisket on each rack. You will get a better product that way. You didn't mention if you were doing whole packer briskets or brisket flats. That is a lot of meat. How many are you expecting at the party? And also remember that sides will cause people to eat less meat so take that into consideration. Good Luck.

Back