Hickory Vs Pecan

Steven Simpkins

TVWBB Member
Was at my property in Georgia this weekend and scored on some pecan wood. I have smoked chicken with hickory and found that four chunks gave the chicken a very pleasant taste. I am going to smoke with the pecan next. What can I expect? Should I mix the hickory and pecan?

Steve

Pecan is also very pleasant and simliar in many respects to hickory. I personally would go with all pecan just so that you can get a taste, so to speak, of what it is like. If you like 4 chunks of hickory then try 4 chunks of pecan. I use pecan a lot more often than I use hickory anymore.

Pecan is one of my favorite woods to smoke with. I think you will really enjoy the flaver of using Pecan, to your cooking. Let us know, how it turns out for you.

I also enjoy pecan (state tree of Texas) as many bbq joints in the homeland used strictly pecan.

I'd say it is milder than hickory, not as mild as apple; similar to oak but distinct in it's own way.

I'm betting you'll like it once you try it.

Pecan and hickory are related. Pecan is a little lighter and milder in flavor. I use pecan quite frequently with chicken saving hickory for pork.

Paul

I did a blind taste test with about 8 people using hickory and pecan..and probaby 6 out of 8 could not tell a difference..the two woods are in the same family and very similar..most people say they can tell a difference but the reality is a lot of pecan is labeled and sold as hickory and no one can tell difference

I smoke most of my meat with pecan, and use it mixed with charcoal for grilling. I love the aroma and the tint it seems to give the wood and to me, anyway, the taste is a little more "tart" than hickory, but that's probably just me.

My dad has a friend with a large pecan orchard. He brings home pecan hulls after the nuts are cracked and uses those to smoke. Pretty interesting!

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mike tu:
I did a blind taste test with about 8 people using hickory and pecan..and probaby 6 out of 8 could not tell a difference..the two woods are in the same family and very similar..most people say they can tell a difference but the reality is a lot of pecan is labeled and sold as hickory and no one can tell difference </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Boy, I dissagree here. There is a big difference between the two. Nothing, and I mean nothing smells like Hickory when burning. It's smell and flavor are very distinctive, JMO. Pecan is one of my favortie woods for smoking, just can't get it here, mail order only.
icon_frown.gif

I have lots of pecan growing near my backyard in south GA and its tastes is that of a dry nuttiness that, if overdone, will result in a meat that's flavored bitterly.

For a change of pace I recently traded some pecan for apple wood.

Bryan S check out your local wal mart and try the Hickory there and tell me what you think..also check and see (on bottom corner of bag) if it says manufactured by ww wood

The Salt Lick outside of AustinTX. uses pecan HULLS for smoking their product. At least they did at one time. haven't been there in a while. I've tried it and it's great. the hulls are porous so hlod moisture longer that chuncks or chips. Smoke longer before flameing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Bo.:
Hmm...Need to find some Pecan!!! I've never used it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I've done with someone at this forum previously, if you got some kind of smokewood other than hickory and mesquite that you'd like to trade straight across for some pecan, pm me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mike tu:
Bryan S check out your local wal mart and try the Hickory there and tell me what you think..also check and see (on bottom corner of bag) if it says manufactured by ww wood </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll check it out the next time I get to Wally World. I'd like to be able too buy pecan wood here. It will be easy to tell if it's Hickory or Pecan in the bag as they are night in day as far as color, bark and woodgrain go.
icon_wink.gif

Back