Hickory Rubs on Butts

Jeff L

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking on here for years. Never posted much.

So, I just rubbed 30 lbs of beautiful NC pork butts with my usual Bad Byrons "Butt Rub". I also mix in a little John Henrys Pig Rub. I didnt have any of the Pig Rub so I used John Henrys Hickory Rub.

After I saran wrapped everything and put in the fridge for smoking tomorrow, I got a little nervous. Do you think the Hickory Rub might add too much "smoke flavor" to the final product. I probably used around 1 to 1-1/2 cups spread out over 5 butts. I usually use apple mixed with hickory, oak or maple when smoking.

I think I am being a little too anal about it myself. It is just that I have a lot of guests coming on Sat. and dont want to &*&# anyting up. Should I rerub the butts or just forget it.

Any input appreciated
Thanks
Jeff

PS also doing a 8 lb chuck roll (my first), 5 racks of baby backs and teriyaki burgers. Should be a feast.

I think you can drop kick a pork butt across an open field and it will still taste great (as long as you don't tell your guests!).

Don't worry. Tell them that's the taste you were shooting for in the 1st place.

If you're concerned about too much "smoke" flavor when combining the rub with the real smoke effect, just drop the hickory out of your wood mix and use only the apple and/or maple with some oak. I like to use just apple on pork, myself - I like the flavor it gives. Undersmoking something is fine for the taste of the final meat; oversmoking is not. If you're doing the chuck roll at the same time as the butt, try equal amounts of apple and oak and leave out the hickory. (Oak seems to be the best at giving beef a deep red-purple smoke ring, for some reason, though the smoke is relatively neutral.)

Keri C

Thanks for your input. Thats a good idea with using oak with the apple. I have never smoked beef before (other than a meatloaf).

The good thing bout Butts is they are very forgiving.

Thanks

PS Used "Three Little Pigs" Competition bbq sauce on some baby backs the other day. Man that stuff is fantastic. One of my current faves in KC style sauce. (with Big Bob Gibson, Big Ricks, and "The Slabs" competition - all available at hawgeyes

oops big ricks isnt carried at hawegyes but you can get it from his website..bigricks
later

Funny you mention Big Rick's - we met him a while back at a competition. I didn't know he did sauce; we were fascinated with his cooker, and while talking to him and his team about it, the sauce came up in the course of conversation. He does indeed look like the picure on the bottle. Really nice guy, too, as well as downright tasty sauces. And nice custom-printed handtowels, too!
icon_smile.gif
It's good to know that Mike carries it - I didn't realize that.

When I make my rub for Butt, Ribs, or Brisket I always add hickory salt. I do find it adds something to the taste.

Interesting, where can you find hickory salt?

the butts turned out fine-- so i guess always trust your first instinct
thanks

Back