Hi-Temp Paint on Grill Grates?

Steve Haack

TVWBB Member
A friend of mine did his first big cleanout of his gas grill earlier this spring, and noticed some rust on his grill grates. He told me his plan was to clean them and then use hi-temp paint on them so they wouldn't rust. I advised him to clean them and season them, and just treat them like any cast iron cookware.

I know my way will work, but will his? I had never even dreamed of trying to use paint on an active cooking surface. Should I warn him away from it for food reasons, and not just because I'm a fan of properly seasoned cast iron?

A friend of mine did his first big cleanout of his gas grill earlier this spring, and noticed some rust on his grill grates. He told me his plan was to clean them and then use hi-temp paint on them so they wouldn't rust. I advised him to clean them and season them, and just treat them like any cast iron cookware.

I know my way will work, but will his? I had never even dreamed of trying to use paint on an active cooking surface. Should I warn him away from it for food reasons, and not just because I'm a fan of properly seasoned cast iron?
Best solution is to put a wire brush on a drill and clean off the rust. Then season it with oil as you mentioned - a much better solution.

From the specs for Rustoleum high-temp BBQ paint:

Ideal for the exterior of barbeque grills, wood stoves, radiators, fire pits, fireplace screens, automotive parts...

Do not spray grates, do not spray the inside of the firebox.

Back