Hi from DE

Steve_I

Hi,
After a few smokes on my weber kettle I decided to get a new toy and picked up a 22.5" WSM. I have been wanting to get a smoker for years but never took the plunge. Had to unbox it at the store to cram it into my car for the ride home, but well worth it. I smoked 2 butts on it the weekend after I got it and and found this site looking for info and idea. Looking forward to new facet of my cooking hobby/addiction. Saw the threads about making a grill controller using the Raspberry Pi and the geek in me was already ordering parts. Look forward to building that and making some good stuff with the WSM.

-
Steve

Welcome Steve. Where are you in DE? I lived in Seaford 3 different times and Wilmingto also 3 different times (DuPonter).

Ray

Thanks all for the welcome. Been such a crazy week, but tomorrow I'll be relaxing with a few beers and trying the first brisket on my WSM, fiancée is a bit porked out after the last few weeks of experiments.
I am excited to try making a brisket, I read a few recipes and picked out flavors I think she and I will like and made a rub and inject/braise liquid. It's all trimmed injected and coated with some mustard and my rub chilling in the fridge. Tomorrow morning I'll load up the smoker and get it on around 225-250 I am thinking. It's around 8 pounds so probably 6-8 hrs and foil it or put it in a pan with some more of the broth mixture I made for another couple hours till its nice and tender. I still getting use to keeping the smoker at temp and not peeking. May or may not mop/spritz it every few hour or 2. I am trying to keep notes of what I do to see what to change later. Really just can't wait for some nice smoky beef to eat. Having done a good amount of cooking in my sous vide so I'm use to having to wait a while for dinner to be ready.
-
Steve

Ray,
I'm just outside of Newark.

Newark - Nice area there. On one of my Dupont assignments, I worked at the Louviers Building in Newark. Have also done some trout fishing in the streams nearby.
Ray

Back