HH Pork Shoulder

Greg Muller

TVWBB Member
I need some advice on doing a high heat pork shoulder. I have a 7# I want to start tomorrow when I get home from work. I work the midnight shift and get home by around 10am. I was going to foil at around 165. How long will I need to get it done by dinner. Cooking in an 18" WSM.

You'll probably want to foil between two and two and a half hours. After that probably another hour and a half to two hours. Count on 4 to 5 hours in total and then rest.....

Clark

I have deboned and butterflied large butts before, and they turned out great.... fast too..... with tons of bark. Mine were cooked indirect around 375 to 400 on a kettle until very dark on the outside, then foiled until tender. The last couple times I put it back on the grill to firm up the bark a bit. Total time from prep till service has been about 4-6 hours depending on size. I don't use sugar in the rub when I make them like this. Just a light coat of Tony C's.

I've done many HH pork butts, for that matter I do everything HH now since I've found that it works just as good as low and slow and takes half the time. Foil them at 160 internal and take em up to 200 internal. Easy peasy.

Thanks for the replies. I made this just as Jim does his and it did come out great. Foiled at 160 and removed at 205. Temp was around 335 to 350. The only thing I might try different next time is to inject.

Back