HH Pork BUtt. To Inject or Not to Inject?

Michael M.

TVWBB Fan
I've been doing HH butts with good success the last year. Part of the process I've been using involves an injection of the butt. I've since adjusted that exact formula for my own taste and have been happy with it. But, in my continuing efforts to adhere to a "less is more" philosophy when it comes to smoking, I'm looking at dropping it from my next cook.

We have a recipe here that doesn't call for it and I know some of you do and some don't when it comes to the HH method in particular.

So what do some of you say? HH butt: Inject or no inject?

:wsm::wsm::wsm:

I like the way mine come whether I inject or don't inject. There is enough fat in them where you don't really need to inject for moisture. I feel a pork butt injection is more geared towards getting a certain flavor profile. If I am doing some butts and I want to have some versatility in using my leftovers for different meals. I don't inject..this way I have just the pork flavor..........

Thanks. Flavor profile vs moisture I hadn't considered as reason #1 to inject and that makes perfect sense. Hmmm... Now I guess I really need to rethink it. :).

I don't inject. If your looking to add flavour just add some of your rub to the pork when you pull it.

I agree with Bob... I've never injected a pork butt since the meat is moist enough, but I do spray the butt with apple juice occasionally while smoking it. I "sample" (excuse the pun Bob!) the meat as I pull it and season accordingly.

X 3.
I used to at the beginning, but I never noticed any difference in one that was pumped or not. I like easy and the HH butt is the only way I do-em.
For me the defatted juices with some rub and whatever sauce along with a smoke-wood that has the right moisture is all that this guy needs.:wsm:

Tim

I'm with Timothy: high heat and no injection. I tried it once or twice and haven't bothered since. Now the only time I use my injector is when I am trying to speed the curing process of something in a brine.

I injected my last Butt based on the Chris Lilly recipe. I did not find a noticable difference. I don't really think it added that much but then again depends on what you are looking for. I like the bark and the smoke flavor. I don't have to inject for that. I also like to serve PP with BBQ sauce and coleslaw. Those two additions alter the taste more than an injection.

Back