HH Brisket Question

Hey folks,
I'm doing my first brisket today, and using the HH method proposed by so many on this awesome forum.

My question is that while I was able to get a packer brisket with a nice thick fat cap, the whole thing only weighs 6 pounds - does this affect either the cook time or the temperature that I keep the smoker? Also, it appears that most of the point was removed by the meat department at my local grocery store, so it's almost just a flat. Any special considerations for this? Thanks!

I just foiled two 7.5 pounders pretty much like yours. The prevailing wisdom seems to be, smoke for about 2 1/2 hours at around 335-350 degrees before foiling. Let the temp come up to around 375 degrees and start checking for tender around the 3:45 mark. Total cook time should be right around 4 hours give or take a few minutes. Good luck.

Hey Matt,
Welcome to the best forum on the 'net!

Jerry is correct about the cook times...HOWEVER...your mission (should you choose to accept it) is to cook that puppy to TENDER, NOT TO TIME.
Doesn't matter how long it takes, keep going till it's tender!
icon_cool.gif

If you want to search "High Heat Brisket" you'll find a ton of posts to read.
I would advise you pay close attention to ANYTHING said by Kevin Kruger, and you will meet LOTS more Excellent pitmasters while you're here.

Good luck with your brisky.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just foiled it, but I noticed that even at 350 smoker temp, the brisket seemed almost blackened after 2 hours. I'm concerned that the rub may have burned. I used the rub on the recipe page for high heat briskets (the one minus sugar, so it wasn't that). Dunno, I guess I just gotta be patient. I'm very anxious to see how it ends up.

Thanks again!

Don't worry about it.

Finished briskets look like a meteorite!
If you can poke it with your finger and it does the "wabba-wabba wiggle", it's more-n-likely tender...BUT
Check it with a probe or fork. Should feel like you're inserting the probe into warm butter.

DON'T RUSH IT! You're doin' fine.
icon_wink.gif

Well,
The brisket had excellent flavor (although not quite as much of a smoke ring as I hoped), and was incredible tender. It could easily be pulled apart with a fork. However, it was drier than expected. I'm curious if this was because it was a smaller piece to begin with, or because the point had been almost completely removed, or some other non-cooking factor. I maintained 350-375 for basically the whole time. One thing I did notice was that the drippings yield was maybe a tablespoon, not a cup or two as it was supposed to be.

Need to work on the moisture, but other than that, it worked really well. The folks eating it said it was better than the best bbq places in our area, but then again, this is Dayton OH lol...

Also,
The thickest part of the brisket (which was really a flat since almost all of the point was taken off) was above 165 at 2 hours when I foiled it. Some of the parts were at almost 180. I've got to assume that this is because it was just a smaller piece of meat, and maybe why it ended up dry.

I'm late to this party. Whoops.

The drippings didn't amount to much because, as is likely, it wasn't a packer. You will not get copious drippings with a flat.

Because it was a smaller piece to begin with, to answer your question. On a small cut like a flat, the times will be shorter, i.e., you'll have to foil sooner. I'd go with 165 tops, or a few degrees lower, for a thick, nicely marbled flat; no higher than 160 if thin or trimmed. I don't temp packers at all - I just foil at the 2.5-hour mark - but you can temp and foil at 165 if you prefer.

Good that your cook was somewhat successful to you, successful to your guests (that's always nice!). Try for a whole packer and give it another shot. Something in the 11- to 14-pound range...

Thanks for the additional feedback Kevin. Being my first brisket ever (smoked or otherwise) it could have been much worse. Of course, I had a ton of information from you guys heading into this thing. This forum rocks.

Back