HH Brisket & Burnt Ends?

Mike U

TVWBB Member
I've always had pretty mixed results with low & slow briskets, usually ending up leaning towards the tender but dry side of things but occasionally nailing something spectacular. I figured it was time to take a crack at an HH cook, but while I was at it I thought I might be able to work on my burnt end technique as well. I don't really have a consistency problem with these, they're usually pretty terrible. Little nuggets of leathery beef with too much rub and too much sauce. I usually just chopped the point into chunks and threw them in a pan when I pulled the flat. I'd let them cook like that for anywhere from 4-6 more hours around 250 without much in the way of tasty treats to show for it.

So here are my questions about tackling both problems

1) Is it possible to eat the flat & Burnt ends in the same meal on a high heat cook? Looking through the forum it seems like the ends need to go quiet a while longer, but I don't know if the flat will hold that long, or if this is true with a HH cook.

2) Smoke the point whole or chop into chunks? Looking here and elsewhere I see a ton of differing opinions on this. Some smoke the whole point longer, chop it up and smoke for a minimal time after with sauce. Others chop to chunks right after they cut off the flat and put them in a pan to cook longer. Still others seem to split the difference with equal time for the whole point and the chunks in the pan.

#2 is probably my biggest question. I've never really eaten good burnt ends so I don't know what I'm shooting for. Some pictures look like the chunks were freshly cut before being served since you can see the meat clearly distinct from the bark. Others show the chunks as having bark all the way around. Not going to ask which is right, but which do you think tastes better?

Thanks,
Mike

#1 yes the flat will hold until burnt ends. You don't need to serve brisket piping hot. Make sure it isn't cold and it will hold fine in various methods as you can search on here. if you foil and wrap in a towel it will continue to cook. but if you tent or wrap in saran and put in a cooler it will say warm. Make sure you heat up the sauce etc.

#2 I chop my point into at least fist-sized chunks so it will cook in an hour or 90 minutes. I add more rub to the chopped pieces, especially the "fresh" edges that were cut I suppose if you chop it into 2" cubes it will cook faster. I like to add a chunk of smokewood to the fire when I throw the point back on and I like to glaze the point with BBQ sauce on the smoker but not a lot. I want the fat to render, pickup a little more smoke and add some cooked on carmelized glaze. This makes it different from the flat other than more fatty etc.

I'm not a KC guy or long time BBQ dude but I get the feeling burnt ends are like spaghetti sauce--many ways and your mom made it the best.... So find your burnt end style.

Also some of the best chili comes from burnt ends stirred in shortly before serving or late in the chili process. I've won 2 chili cookoffs with my "Smokestack Lightning" which uses smoked ground beef (no big) but has burnt ends stirred before serving. The judges always say how did you get all that beef flavor in there with the right amount of smoke. I just smile.

I have separated the point from the flat a couple of times and cooked the brisket that way. High heat. The bark is more consistent when you do that.

I never knew what a Burnt End was until joining here.

This was my first attempt and my thought was to serve them as an Hors d'oeuvre, sort of a meat candy. I wrapped and held the flat in the cooler and continued on with the point. First I foiled it and kept it on the Smoker for about an hour more, HH. Then I cut it up into small pieces sauced it and this is what it became. I did not apply more rub as I was concerned about the amount of salt. http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g371/Hydro312/IMG_0530.jpg[/img] ] ]

I only do brisket via the HH method, and usually opt for sliced flat and then burnt ends with the point, all in the same meal usually. I separate the point and flat, wrap the flat and cooler it while the burnt ends resume cooking. For the burnt ends, I put them in a foil pan with a small amount of sauce, a tad more rub, and just thrown them back on the WSM while it is still going along at 375 or so. At that temp, another hour is usually all they need. I cut the point into cubes, probably 2"X2" if not a bit smaller so they come out bite sized when they are done cooking. A HH flat will hold for a while, but I always let it cool down a bit before wrapping it up to rest. Coming off the cooker at 375, it needs to cool down some because there will be a fair amount of carry over cooking and you'll end up with crumbly pot roast instead of pretty slices.

I've only cooked the point whole. Foiled it whole and rendered it more and then cut it into pieces or slices. I don't know which way I like it best.
I'll just have to cook more to find out.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I pretty much do what Gary S. describes in his photos.

I've even taken the point and reserved it for later. Finishing in the indoor oven then chop and prepare on the stove top or back in the oven in a cast iron pan.

I don't add salt to my rubs so I do add a little rub and sauce for a glaze.

I have also taken chopped "finished" burnt ends and used them direct in chilli. Just add them half way or part way through. Excellent.

Just a thought on another option

I've done the burnt ends cooking the point as a whole, chopping it into 3 or 4 big pieces or chopping in chunks and saucing.

Gary those look fantastic.

I like to get a little more smoke on the burnt ends so I like the 2" cube or fist size chunks for the extra cooking of the point with no foil. I'm not sure if this really adds smokiness due to the temp of the point being above 130, but it makes the chunks a little more crispy/barky. I don't sauce the chunks until after an hour of cooking the chunks.

I always add rub to burnt ends but I don't put any or very little salt in my rub. I add salt to brisket alone before rubbing.

Thanks Chris and that's what I'm going to start doing is salt first, just gotta figure out how much I want to use on a whole brisket. I like measurements, kinda nerdy that way but it comes from making sausage. When you get the right recipe you can repeat it over and over again.
Half the fun is in the cook!

Back